Author Topic: UNM Game Thread  (Read 2536 times)

kyyote

• Administrator
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
UNM Game Thread
« on: September 13, 2022, 09:48:10 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The Miners are still favored by 3.  Those of you who are shocked that the Miners could still be favored to win a game after the NMSU display, I have looked at the stats for the first two games and UNM mauled the Maine Black Bears 41-0.  Evidently it impressed no one.  Then they entertained Boise State, and the Lobos were able to muster 123 yards of total offense.  There is a reason UTEP is favored.  UNM is horrible.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: UNM Game Thread
    « Reply #1 on: September 13, 2022, 04:54:18 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I don't think the Miners could muster 123 yards on Boise either. It'll be a draw like the Enemas U. game but I have no hope. Until we see improvement from the head coach I see no light at the end of the tunnel. If it sounds like I'm done with Dismal, yes, yes I am.

Show me the money Dismal.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: September 13, 2022, 05:24:37 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • We got 320 against OU.

Colominer

• 2014 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 13, 2022, 09:46:31 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Hardison actually threw the ball well against OU.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 14, 2022, 05:37:36 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I have to say that this looks a bit scary.  Predictive?

Team Stats
                                         UTEP       UNM
    Points Per Game                      15.3   27.5
    Points Allowed Per Game      29.7   15.5
    [/color]

« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 09:54:14 AM by kyyote »

orange-oink

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 15, 2022, 09:13:47 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • UTEPs offense is better than UNMs but that advantage is offset by UNMs defense and coordinator.   After seeing UTEPS offense against UNT and NMSU,  it?s obvious it has regressed significantly this season and I have little hope DD has the adjustments necessary to improve it.
    « Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 09:21:31 AM by orange-oink »

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: September 16, 2022, 07:36:32 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Sorry for not participating much, fellas. I've been out of it for a few weeks. I guess a combo of team not looking like we expected, plus going through a divorce takes my attention away.
    Hopefully things settle down a bit come Bball. I still read entries, though. Keep up the communication.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: September 16, 2022, 08:11:26 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Sorry to hear that you are going through that.  Let's hope the Miners show a little of what we all hoped for and give you something to make the day a little better.

Miners are now giving 2 points.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: September 16, 2022, 09:29:54 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Same here Chanson.   Although nameless faceless guys on the internet aren't the same as real in-person friends, I still care about my Den buddies and hope for the best for them.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: September 16, 2022, 12:57:05 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I went back and looked at the UNT game scoring drives and play by play (yes, I have a lot of free time).   North Texas is ranked 103 and UNM is 112 on their power index.  I note that as a comparison.  Looking at drive charts unemotionally, I think UTEP shows 1) that they can go toe to toe with UNT level opponents (I will explain that), 2) that they still sputter at the wrong times, and 3) most of the 2nd half the score dictated the offense and that made UTEP one dimensional and unable to overcome that.

Have a look;
    EP 8-51 FG Missed
    NT 4-24 Pu
    EP 13-87 Downs 1 yrd line*
    NT 10-54 Pu
    EP 5-90 TD
    NT 12-83 TD
    EP 10-64 FG
    NT 9-75 TD
    EP 5-22 Pu
    EP and NT trade fumbles inside the UNT 10 yards line before the half ends
    It should be 20-14 UTEP and easily could have been 27-to 14 UTEP at the half.  Instead, the score is 10 -14 in favor of UNT.
    NT 12-75 TD
    EP 9-25 Fum
    NT 4-50 TD
    EP 12-43 Downs
    NT 12-57 FG
    EP 8-38 Downs
    NT 3-2 Pu
    EP 7-25 Downs
    NT Runs out clock.

*Should be UTEP 10-0 at this point and instead it is 0-0

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts.  I know.  But it shows that without an easy missed field goal and leaving the ball on the one-yard line because we could not get a yard into the end zone, and we would have been up on UNT instead of being down by a bunch into the 3rd quarter and forcing the abandonment of the run for time reasons.  That would have made it a toe-to-toe battle right down to the line, and overall, UTEP had outplayed them to the point before the forced passing.  Look at the drive chart for the first half.  Both sides of the line.

The Miners are definitely capable of being the better team.  Easly, in fact.  They do have to make field goals they should make, and for crying out loud they need to be able to get a damned yard when they need a damned yard!  Just do the right thing, and they should win.  Maybe even pretty big in relative terms.

It is Friday and this bit of orange is brought to you by me.  I need to think positively.  If I thought realistically, I would be pissed off all season. 

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: September 16, 2022, 03:18:28 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I agree that UTEP can or at least should be able to compete well with UNM. Their triple option offense takes a lot of discipline to stop so our defense better be on their toes. We need a win even if it's by 1 point in quadruple OT.

KiddMiner

• Assayer
    • Picks Up!! GO MINERS!!!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: September 16, 2022, 04:09:18 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Sorry to hear Chanson, been through it myself, and well....life.

My score prediction may be a bit out there, but I do believe they are capable.

Picks up..
    Picks Up!! GO MINERS!!!

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: September 16, 2022, 11:57:00 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Thanks for cheering me up, fellas.
    I think the Miners can win this, however which team is going to show up is the question.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: September 17, 2022, 10:11:46 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • After some time and doing the play-by-play review, a couple of answers came to me.  The loss of Cowing is the difference probably in the loss to UNT and may have made enough of a difference to have changed the outcome of the OU game.  Cowing wasn't just a good receiver.  He did what it took to get open and make the catch.  A decent defensive backfield can cover the Miners this year enough to keep Hardison from just killing them.  Throw in Cowing and all of a sudden td's get scored and drives continue to move chains.  Having said that, I do believe that our receivers will have a field day against the Lobotomized so much that Hardison won't have to pass, but he will for a lot.  The Miners run game will be able to run because they don't have to.  Against the Lobos, the Miners passing  game will be free to operate and that will opn the line up for the running game to have a big day.  Defensively, the running game for the Lobs will suffer from the running game.  Too slow, not enough points.  UTEP won't stop them, but will slow them down enough and the opposite is the Lobos won't be able to slow down the passing game AND the running game at the same time.  Btw, I think our receivers will get better as the season goes along.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: September 17, 2022, 04:43:47 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Anyone know if Miner game will be televised? If so, where? Thx