Author Topic: coaching future  (Read 656 times)

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
coaching future
« on: September 12, 2022, 07:53:11 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I think there's general agreement on this board as well as on the other that:

1.  Dimel has substantially upgraded talent at most positions from when he took over
    2.  Our talent at "skill" positions is sorely lacking
    3.  He is really bad at game management and gametime strategy

If I were AD the questions I'd be asking myself is whether item 1 can continue to upgrade, whether Dimel can address item 2, and what to do about item 3.

In other words, is this as good as it gets?  And how to plan for the future.  If we need to replace him it costs $1.7M to fire him at the end of the season but can we afford to wait out his contract?

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: coaching future
    « Reply #1 on: September 12, 2022, 08:49:59 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I believe that Kugler drained the program of the talent level we had seen with Price and even Nord.  The strategy of running into brick walls and losing nearly every game had a devastating effect on attracting talented players.  Good players just aren't into losing stupidly.  Dimel brought with him the "reputation" and name recognition to convince players that the Wildcat offense wasn't the stupid brick wall breaking of Kugler but his first three years it looked pretty much the same. Hardison forced him to pass.  Because Hardison lit a spark Dimel has been forced to go with him, but is still using him in a way that limits the offense offense.  The RPO without the second run option just isn't the same at all.  Price had gone with an offense that emphasizes skills players going one on one against a defender.  Kugler said we don't need skills if we just pound the ball and then proceeded to eliminate the use of skills players.  Stumbling onto an Aaron Jones prolonged the agony.  Hardison forced the pass last season and receivers saw that there was openings for a receiver and a couple are getting a chance.  So, I would say that Dimel has not substantially upgraded the talent.  I would say that he has found a defensive coordinator that has brought some order to the defense, making it not just wet tissue paper strong.  Offensively, we still are just about equal to NMSU.  Actually, NMSU is ahead of us offensively.  We knocked out their starting quarterback and their second string qb played well.  Think what would happen to th Miners if Hardison was knocked out of the game. 
    if number two is right then the unskilled level is what he has upgraded?  And yet we can never get a yard when we need it by using our "strength".  For me, Dimel is Kugler with Hardison and the pass thrust upon him against his will.  Before those two we were hanging with the teams of the AAC.  We are now struggling to stay off of the bottom of maybe the worst conference in the country.
    I won't even waste my time with number three other than to agree.

How did UTSA, and others go from a lower level to flying past us?  It happens over and over.  You pay the big boy bucks to get a big boy coach.  One that players-good players want to come and play for.  I know, I know.  Picture the poor farmer, barefoot and barely able to feed his family, "Please mister, we don't have money for good coaches.  We only have a few dried beans and pocket lint."  That's fine but when you shop at the Dollar Store you get what you pay for. 

We are going to have to make a decision, or it will be made for us.  Are we going to be a FBS level school or drop.  Or be dropped to wander homelessly like the aggies were and may yet be in a year or two.  We cannot continue doing what we are doing.  The downward path has about reached the bottom of the chart.  The thing I hate is that I think we have all seen the answer for 50 years.

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: September 12, 2022, 10:38:02 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Scott frost did well at UCF (lots of talent in that neighborhood), bombed out at Nebtaska and is available.

UIW plays great offense but very little defense. The fans would love it as long as the wins come along too. Coach Kinne took his team to Nevada and won a high scoring affair. He has a great background.

Time for UTEP to take the necessary steps to move up in the world.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 12, 2022, 12:10:39 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Your comments make a lot of sense Kyy.

I've said this before -- I don't mind saving a buck or two by trying an up and coming HC moving up, or a guy that was successful at the lower level but couldn't make it in P5.  But it needs to be an HC with a track record of success.  Not someone who has only ever had mediocre results like Dimel and Terry.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 12, 2022, 01:56:49 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I learned that football coaching is a large extended family of gypsies. Many are literally related and they are all professionally related. So they take care of each other. It may be that Stull may have been giving Dimel a golden parachute opportunity.  It was even a decent hire. Not great. Not a home run. But not a horrible hire for a team kind of begging.

It didn?t stop the bleeding though. It just slowed it down.

We need a home run. It is the bottom of the ninth and we are down a run. We need a home run. Dimel got lucky and got hit with a pitch. Now we need a home run for a life saving win. We need the powers that be to recognize the need, the direness of the situation, and to take action.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 12, 2022, 02:05:31 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I think there's general agreement on this board as well as on the other that:

1.  Dimel has substantially upgraded talent at most positions from when he took over
    2.  Our talent at "skill" positions is sorely lacking
    3.  He is really bad at game management and gametime strategy

If I were AD the questions I'd be asking myself is whether item 1 can continue to upgrade, whether Dimel can address item 2, and what to do about item 3.

In other words, is this as good as it gets?  And how to plan for the future.  If we need to replace him it costs $1.7M to fire him at the end of the season but can we afford to wait out his contract?

If I remember right Dismal got an extension on his contract. That's what buddies do with their friends they help with the retirement account. He should have waited until his 5 years was up and then evaluate things from there but nooooo, let's up his UTEP IRA. Now, if we want another coach we'll have to fork up a huge amount of money and that's what gonna keep Dismal in the position. That bonus is like Biden appointing Kamala as VP they knew that no one would want her S in the WH so that's what will keep him in office until 2024. They're both bad but Word Salad is worst, omigosh, it's impossible to say that. But enough of the Slow One.

But, I think I've made my point, in other words we're stuck with Dismal...and the story or should I say the nightmare continues. *alas* and a *sigh*

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: September 13, 2022, 09:49:08 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Get rid of Dimel & bring in John Gruden.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.