Author Topic: UTEP game thread  (Read 450 times)

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
UTEP game thread
« on: September 03, 2022, 03:11:43 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • So far the Miners after a bad first quarter is making a good showing. 21-10 so far is fine. Hardison is playing well in the second half. Keep it respectable Miners, is all I'm asking for.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: UTEP game thread
    « Reply #1 on: September 03, 2022, 03:39:33 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • So, we spotted the Sooners 21 points just to give them a fighting chance.  Since then, we have played them 10 to 14.  We have already NOT been an embarrassment!  Think about it.  We have played the #6 ranked OU straight up since then.
    Folks, we spotted them 21 points. Take 21 from 45 and the Miners held the #9 Sooners to 24 points over the final 55 minutes of the game. We put up 13 to their 24 for almost the entire game. I n Norman!  Not against the second and third string players either.
    « Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 06:56:58 PM by kyyote »

KiddMiner

• Assayer
    • Picks Up!! GO MINERS!!!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: September 05, 2022, 09:12:57 AM »
  • [applaud]2
  • [smite]0
  • I was at the game along with my wife and son up in the visitor section....in the sun...boy that sucked, after we scored the TD people started to filter out.

What I came away with.

Rushing the ball....needs work, I would have to say we did better than last week as the talent level of athletes we were up against was at another level. Going forward we should be alright.

Passing the ball...a big improvement, in my opinion, 7 different receivers... and we were consistently moving the ball.

Gavin...improved, he did take some sacks as he played it safe and did not try to force it.

Defense....ok, they gave up 21 points at the get-go....again another level of athlete we were up against, however, to keep UofO at 45 points is a good sign. The interception was legit but as we all know the home team usually gets the calls. (the black and whites- missed -a holding call in the 3rd on a long pass in the 15yrd area which could of set us up for some points)

I believe Dimel checked out after the 1st qtr and used the game to prep the Miners for the rest of the season and kept the play calling a bit vanilla. 1 incomplete pass to a tight end and didn't try again, no screens...he didn't even try the wildcat, but he did get the fullback involved, a 24-yard play.

A lot of people are down on Dimel but as someone who has lived in OK for 30yrs now and watched Big 12 FB I am a bit familiar with Kstate, Dimel is on the right path, it takes time to build a consistent winner with the type of program he is putting together. The big picture is recruiting big bodies for the trenches and coaching them up which he is working on, then the skill positions. Now KState hasn't won a lot of championships but they are consistent which is all we need, hopefully, it will happen and then the fans will come and inject some much-needed capital into the program. I am hopeful for another bowl and another extension for Dimel.

A shout out to the MINER MAFIA, we hooked up for a little tailgating pregame and met some fans from ft. worth as well, we had a great conversation with an UofO player, DB from the 80s.

Picks Up!!

Picks Up!! GO MINERS!!!

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 05, 2022, 12:31:59 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Great post!