Author Topic: Idle Hands Are the Devil's Workshop  (Read 888 times)

kyyote

• Administrator
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Idle Hands Are the Devil's Workshop
« on: April 12, 2022, 11:11:19 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • With too much time on my hands, and an ESPN+ subscription the only thing left on right now is baseball.  Having grown up listening to Giants games with my dad, and then going to watch the Championship years of the Oakland A's for $4 to sit in the first row or two box seats behind the team dugout or a cheap date with a blanket to sit in empty rightfield for a buck each, college baseball does involve the good parts and is without the bad parts I dislike of the pro's.  That part is neither here nor there.  But I have come to realize that everyone else in the country has a baseball team, and El Paso, which has a rich tradition of baseball UTEP has no team.  I know and have known that we don't and never have had that I can remember.  No, what I just realized is that everyone else can find the money.  Everyone!  Not UTEP.  Oh sure, title 9 says we have to match scholarships blah, blah, blah.  Everyone else can manage to do both and I want someone to tell me why it is that UTEP can't manage it.  Money.  It costs money.  It costs everyone else money, and yet, somehow, someway, they are able. 

I am watching packed stadiums of big12 teams playing lots of non conference teams in which non conference teams, mid majors are highly ranked.  I know damned well that the UTEP miners playing Texas in the Stadium downtown a three game series including a Saturday Double Header would be sold out!  And no fans, absolutely none in the country are more passionate than El Pasoan Miners fans.  With beer!!?!  Senter needs to figure out how to fix this.  It is wrong.  It is indefensible as far as I can see, and it says something about our ability and/or desire to compete.  The we are poor and humble farmers is just bullshit. 

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: Idle Hands Are the Devil's Workshop
    « Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 11:22:56 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Well, personally I couldn't care less. I have always found baseball to be roughly as interesting as watching grass grow.

To your point however, UTEP is a reflection of the city they are in.  Bush league mentality.  It's always we can't, never "screw the critics we'll provide them wrong".  Natalicio was up for that battle for academics, and made her a standout in the history of El Paso.  But she wasn't up for that fight for sports.

And our current president appears to be putting in time, and we haven't had anyone in the AD's office with vision for quite some time.  Senter knows how to sell, supposedly, but he has no vision to sell.  It's damn depressing, is what it is.

"Where there is no vision, the people perish" -- Proverbs

"I can't stand this indecision, married with a lack of vision" -- Tears for Fears.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 11:45:27 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Old Dominion vs. #8 Virginia
    Florida Atlantic vs. #2 Miami
    UAB vs. Mississippi State
    TCU vs. #16 Dallas Baptist
    Western Kentucky vs. Vanderbilt

Just a sample of games today.  Not nearly all.  My point is that others can and somehow we can't is just bullshit!  And two, it tells the world we aren't up to trying, evidently.  Tier 1 but can't field a baseball team.  We are pretty smart, but can't play baseball like the other guys.  We can do most things other schools can.  But, not that.  You know...

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 12:11:21 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Maybe it's also because no Utep fan ever gets involved in letting the president know how much they resent not having a baseball team. The president and AD figure why even broach the subject. They know it's much better this way as they won't have to foot the bill for another sport annnndddd a Title 19 counterpart. It's stupid that Utep can have a womens softball but can't have mens baseball. It's the presidents and ADs fault in silencing that subject and they're doing a darn good job. If I remember if a donor wanted to donate to a certain sport he couldn't do that the money would have to be distributed to all the other sports, is that right? If it is then it's entirely wrong.

I want Utep baseball but the only way would be if the rules were changed and when I win the Lotto I could donate it for a baseball team specifically. LOL

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 02:54:17 PM »
  • [applaud]1
  • [smite]0
  • We should probably focus on adequately funding our revenue sports before we worry about adding non-revenue sports.  As I understand things, the revenue sports are underfunded.