Author Topic: UTEP Mens Basketball Recruiting  (Read 15718 times)

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Re: UTEP Mens Basketball Recruiting
« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2022, 09:03:29 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I sure like his coach

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #91 on: April 18, 2022, 09:05:00 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Yes. I saw the video. Great story & great pick up from Boykins.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #92 on: April 19, 2022, 12:31:47 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Kennedy in the portal

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #93 on: April 19, 2022, 12:32:52 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Che Evans in the portal

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #94 on: April 19, 2022, 02:24:52 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • There goes the neighborhood. Evans was no big deal, but Kennedy is tough. We are dealing with a brand new ball club. I have no idea what kind of product we will see next year. Ugh

All we can do is trust Golding can put up a good product.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #95 on: April 19, 2022, 02:37:24 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I like the company we keep. Top teams started with all new starters. That is fine with me. What matters is what he gets and how well they play. Welcome to the brave new world of college basketball.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #96 on: April 19, 2022, 02:56:06 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • So...
    After much deliberation, I have concluded that this might have been CJG plan all along.
    When he got here, he had slim pickin's & had no choice but to sell the team to stay. He was successful, but without Williams.
    Now that he has had a year to market the UTEP brand, he is not as reluctant to let others go. If not, he would have made a better attempt at keeping all besides a non-scholley player in Onyema.
    Either he planned on making what he inherited better or wanted to build the team in his image. In that scenario, I go with the latter.

The fact is, none of us know. Do we see it as a dumpster fire or a necessary gutting?
     Based on CJG success, I believe the correct way to look at it is to trust in his process.

Go Miners

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #97 on: April 19, 2022, 05:00:55 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I?m not opposed to blowing it up.  There was dysfunction left over from CRT

We just need to see what happens.  This year earned CJG some trust with me

We don?t know how this will all shake out.  There?s so many guys in the portal might be able to pick up some if they get left without a chair when the music stops.  Or we are the ones without a chair

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #98 on: April 19, 2022, 05:14:17 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The way I understand it, these players have dropped a line in the water.  But by going fishing Golding may or may not welcome them back if they didn't get any bites or what they caught were too small.  Golding is fishing too though, and if he lands some fish he likes better than the guys that went fishing he can tell them he already has his limit.  So, we may end up with some players returning, I think.  Maybe.  On another note, what about Evans, putting his name in the tp.  Did he realize that he wasn't going to get any pt after his time here, or was he attending classes here?  Just fishing?  Are some of these kids just proving they can go to school and behave?  Lot's of questions.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #99 on: April 19, 2022, 06:51:03 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I wonder if Midas tells those that get into the TP that they might not have a position after all is said and done. WHY should he hold up the recruiting and wait if those people get picked up or not. Screw them, them getting in the TP is an indication that they're not happy here. So be it but don't expect special treatment and think that the coach will wait on you and keep your position open. If I was Golding for every one of those that indicate that they're entering the TP he should start getting a replacement and if he does he only has to tell the "unhappy ones that decisions have consequences, it's that simple.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #100 on: April 20, 2022, 08:45:40 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Might be safe to say that we are done losing players.
    C Onyema
    C Kalu
    C Hamilton
    PF Sibley
    SF Dos Anjos
    PG McKinney
    PG Sumlin
    Onyema is only leftover from Terry. All other are his. So for those who keep track of coaches that play with own players, the clock starts now.
    He is building his team, his way. I admit, in the mass exodus usually meant NCAA applied "The Death Sentence."
    The college sports world is very different. I don't think any of us are comfortable with it. The issue that will come up down the road is the student/athlete graduation rate. If it drops, then that would be direct proof NCAA has taken control of higher learning institutions.

I hope we can pick up quality players.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #101 on: April 20, 2022, 09:23:08 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • OK, going off memory on some of these guys, maybe someone can fill in the blanks?

PG -- McKinney -- transfer from NMSU.  Good handles, good reviews out of high school but hasn't been much of a scoring threat
            Sumlin -- incoming freshman, video looks promising, but a freshman

SG -- currently no one

SF -- Dos Anjos -- I don't remember anything about this guy.  Europe?

PF Sibley -- High ceiling here.  Can shoot the 3 better than any departing players, mobile and active

C -- Onyema, Kalu.  Good potential upside with these guys.
          Hamilton -- big boy, can't jump.  Seems really raw, but you can't teach size.   Electrical Engineering major so probably won't have eligibility issues.

So seems like the two spots we were most worried about a month ago are in OK shape.  PG and C.   We desperately need SG and SF, guys 6-5 to 6-8 that can shoot the outside, drive the paint, and are very very active.  Need about 4 of these, and at least one more PF.  If we got more big bodies, could Sibley play SF?

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #102 on: April 20, 2022, 10:19:51 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Dos Anjos is from Brazil & is a JUCO out of Florida.
    Still have Kalu, last I checked. Came in raw, but has upside. I think we are OK on the big bodies. We need long shooters & drivers.

Ronstr

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #103 on: April 21, 2022, 12:18:34 PM »
  • [applaud]1
  • [smite]0
  • I will say I  LOVE this thread. Very insightful. The posts and opinions on here are so much more accurate than on digs.
    I will say I am "probably" part of the winey asses you speak of on digs. However, I have tried several times to become regular here, but this site is very chique-ish. There are a bunch of amazing posters on here, but new folks just don't become the norm. That's ok I guess. (I jumped in when ky started....I fell away later)

Keep posting your insights.....I LOVE reading them.....take care....peace...

Disclaimer......not trying to be a little bitch......just saying...I will pop in to read cuz I "dig" the posts. (even ky's long winded ones....lol)

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #104 on: April 21, 2022, 01:35:40 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Thanks for dropping in.  I remember you had quality comments. 

Funny thing, I was going to post a comment about the other site asking if there is such a thing as getting paid per post?  Because if there is, how do I get in on it?  And if there isn't, then I have no explanation for about 3/4 of the posts that happen there.