Author Topic: UTEP Mens Basketball Recruiting  (Read 15703 times)

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Re: UTEP Mens Basketball Recruiting
« Reply #120 on: April 28, 2022, 01:44:28 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Maybe he's going there for the education.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #121 on: April 28, 2022, 06:53:17 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • TV to Northwestern in the Big10.  Best of luck to him.
    Wish him the best. Hope he finds what he is looking for.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #122 on: April 30, 2022, 10:26:47 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I saw we are in the hunt for VCU transfer 6'8" PF Mikeal Jones Brown. The kid was ranked a 4☆ & after watching some videos..., let's just say I want this kid wearing orange badly. He is a beast.
    Come on CJG. Bring this kid home.

On a side note. I was reading that a kid entered the portal from Miami because he wants more $$ from UIL. WTF is going on here? The NCAA has got to go.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #123 on: May 01, 2022, 09:17:13 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Still no movement. We only have 7 on the team with 3 bigs, 3 guards, & a SF. 6 more to fill. I check Verbal Commits every 4hrs & only keep track of a few recruits on Twitter. I have to admit that I am very nervous. While we have some pretty good pieces, it is very incomplete & bringing kids with promise is not going to win the conference. We need some Haskins Juju to pick a David Latin quality player to bring this team together.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #124 on: May 02, 2022, 02:46:48 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The way I see things materializing is that we will be in the same state as we were this year. Players this year were not used to the system that Golding was implementing and while some of them were good those same players that learned the system got into the portal. We'll need heads that's for sure and the cycle will be repeated, unfortunately. That portal is screwing a lot of schools especially those that were lucky to get a few good players and will now lose them. SAD

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #125 on: May 02, 2022, 06:02:04 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Looks like we picked up 6'2" PG Malik Zachary out of New York with 2 more years of eligibility. Kid protects the rock well & has handles, however not a big scorer or rebounder.
    Yet another kid with a record. I'm actually not harsh on kids with records because I believe in 2nd chances. Kid was probably in a tough spot & had to protect himself. School should be a sanctuary from all those distractions.
    I think we have 2 PGs & 1 hybrid guard. I'm happy with that. Now let's get some length & scoring.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #126 on: May 02, 2022, 09:15:33 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Well, hmmm...  OK.  I have done high risk/low reward things most of my life.  There have been rewards but there have also been rewards that were more like punishment.  Wisdom might suggest I should take a lesson from that.  But then, it is hard to measure the rewards of things like jumping out of airplanes and running along the top of boxcars and jumping one to the next doing 60 mph.  Here's the lesson.  At 73 I know I could do it, but have enough sense not to.  And that, my friends is kind of how I feel about how I see things going as the team comes into view.  Know what I mean, Coach?

I am adding this to a purposefully long comment above just to let some of you know that I know, and that I sometimes do things like this to keep your brains busy.  This comes from many years of teaching young children and the knowledge that an idle mind is the Devil's playground.  So, you see, I am right now trying to save some of you from yourselves.  Mojo, you especially should know how hard the nurses at the home where you stay are always complaining about you abusing yourself?  And then you get all mad and wander off.  Then they have to issure the gray alert and send out people to find you hanging out at the grade school playground eying the children and drooling.

One last thing.  Souley Boum   UTEP   >Xavier
    « Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 09:36:23 PM by kyyote »

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #127 on: May 03, 2022, 11:27:07 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Oooh that's low, even for you Ky. LOL

But, what can we expect from someone who jumps out of perfectly good airplanes...not too bright there old man. I've always preferred having my feet firmly on solid ground, now that's smart. You know it's said, those who can't pass the  Air Force entrance exam are sent next door to the Army recruiter. Some of those are even talked into jumping out of airplanes. Some of us would rather fix them then jump out of them, like me.  ;) ;D

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #128 on: May 03, 2022, 03:56:29 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Lol. Oh, I passed all of the tests, vision, height, weight, hearing, and they even offered to send me to school to be an officer when they drafted me.  I really had no intention of jumping when I signed up for Airborne, but I had to do it if the old men of 35-40 could.  I couldn't let the old farts show me up.  And I'm glad I did.  The silver wings and the jump boots made the uniform.
    « Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 07:45:06 PM by kyyote »

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #129 on: May 04, 2022, 10:31:37 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • So I was reading the other board & there is talk about better players still in the portal. One name came up was 6'7" Calvin Solomon transfering out of SFA.
    He did visit UTEP a few weeks back, but is still visiting other schools. The kids interior offensive game is a scorer like Boum. He drives & creates, except instead of being 6'1" he is a long, lean, & quick 6'7".
    The kid has great footwork & knows how to find or create separation. He was a 2☆ out of highschool in Houston.
    I'm not sure about his shooting, rebounding, or assts, but Golding & staff need to get knee pads on & beg this kid to wear orange. He & Sibley would be a dynamic duo in the paint. 

Minermojo

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #130 on: May 04, 2022, 11:13:05 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • ", and they even offered to send me to school to be an officer when they drafted me. "

Wow, an Army officer, that's equivalent to being the best Group of Five player but not good enough for the worst team in the Cartel group. No kidding, but one time at work this helicopter pilot asked us how to get around the Franklin mountains. Sheesh, there's a huge gap to the south and north, maybe he could have taken one of those two.

Another time while refueling the giant C5 aircraft which can hold 6 whole buses in it's interior an Army officer came to us and asked us where he could find a C5 airplane. There was one on the flight line in front of us and you couldn't miss it even if you were blind. We sent him somewhere else and the next time he came by our group he gave us a look that could kill. Bwahahahaha, we enjoyed that one.

Minermojo

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #131 on: May 04, 2022, 11:20:16 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Ha, ha, I had to come back and apologize to the old man but I still retain my opinion of Army officers. All we have to do is look at Milley and Austin, that's their best by the way.

As for the paratroopers, my brother was a paratrooper with the 82nd Airborne Division and so was my BIL. I have a lot of respect for them as it takes guts to jump out of airplanes, no brains but lots of guts. LOL

I'm sure you looked sharp in your spitshined boots and snazzy uniform. It's one of the best looking in the military.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #132 on: May 04, 2022, 11:56:05 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Here's the thing.  If you were holding a rifle and in a firefight with an enemy trying to kill you, would you rather have an army officer, that officer, or an Air Force officer?  The answer is so obvious that the question seems too silly to ask, doesn't it.  As for the current leadership of the military at the highest levels my respect for military discipline based on honor and respect keeps me from commenting.  I will say that perhaps the worst day in my life regarding U.S. military came under the command of the current administration. 
    I was Infantry trained, and Airborne qualified and sent to a tank battalion.  There I became the battalion dispatcher and part of Battalion Maintenance, where I was somewhat over the mechanics ;).  Someone had to manage the monkeys, so to speak and check on them.  I had to be able to drive all of the track and wheeled vehicles in the battalion, including track recon vehicles and armored personnel carriers, tanks, tank retrievers, jeeps to 5 ton trucks, and was the driver/operator of a 60 ton tracked bridge laying vehicle that could span a fifty five foot river as I was the one who tested them in order for them to be licensed to drive them.

Also;
    Christian Agnew   UTEP   -> Southeastern Louisiana
    « Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 12:20:24 PM by kyyote »

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #133 on: May 04, 2022, 03:29:11 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0

• Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #134 on: May 04, 2022, 04:38:31 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Very nice. I thought he might skip on UTEP because Newton went somewhere else. I'm betting Newton was in his ear to take the position. No doubt he is a proven starter for PG.
    We have enough PG & SG. Now we need long athletic players. We need quick kids to get that defense rolling efficiently.
    Come on Golding team. Let's make it happen.