Author Topic: UTEP Mens Basketball Recruiting  (Read 15706 times)

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Re: UTEP Mens Basketball Recruiting
« Reply #105 on: April 21, 2022, 02:05:42 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Glad you can make it back, Ronstr. Digs has 1 or 2 good insiders that I follow. However, no pre-madona's here. I don't think any of us care about 1 upping the next.
    To stay on topic, I have seen no activity on recruiting yet. I hang around Verbal Commits, Twitter, & other social sites to keep up & nothing.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Ronstr

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #106 on: April 21, 2022, 04:53:17 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Hell, if I can get paid, I am all in! I can post stupid shit with the best of them! I probably do anyway.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #107 on: April 21, 2022, 05:30:46 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I don't want to piss on anybody's Post Toasties but, I am kind of keeping my fingers crossed on McKinney.  He evidently is being given an opportunity-again.  He has to know that Golding is taking a chance on him not being a problem.  I think Golding is counting on Onyema and others to help set a tone and an expectation. 

I think it is interesting that Golding has had all of these supposed openings for as long as he has and has filled what, 2 spots?  I watch VC and you can see that some are trading up, down, or laterally.  But, also, you can see that some are instantly picked up.  You deal was already done. probably.  Or maybe someone just decided that it was too good to wait.  But it seems to me that he isn't just randomly shopping on VC.  Is he waiting and having them wait to make a big splash?  That runs the risk of having them trade up in the interim.  Is he waiting until the last minute to see what comes up?  I don't see it.  He needs to have much more control than sitting and hoping.  If he is just taking what is great as it comes up and nothing has been great enough yet?  I don't think so. 

I am hoping this will help;
    Division I Men?s Basketball Recruiting Calendar

For the men?s basketball recruiting evaluation periods, there are two different kinds of evaluation periods that take place. During the April evaluations, coaches can only evaluate recruits at NCAA-certified events. If you are on an AAU team or participating in a club basketball tournament at that time, chances are, it?s an NCAA-certified event. You can always double check if the event is NCAA-certified before you attend.

During the remainder of the evaluation periods, all live evaluations must take place at a regularly scheduled high school, prep school or two-year college tournament, practice or game. Again, it?s important to know when the evaluations can happen, but chances are, the coach will let you know when they plan to visit you during this time.

August 1 ? September 8, 2021: Quiet period (exception below)
    August 6?15, 2021: Dead period
    September 9 ? November 7, 2021: Recruiting/contact period
    November 8?11, 2021: Dead period
    November 12, 2021 ? March 30, 2022: Recruiting/contact period (exception below)
    December 24?26, 2021: Dead period
    March 31 ? April 7 (noon), 2022: Dead period
    April 7 (noon) ? 20, 2022: Recruiting/contact period (exceptions below)
    April 8?10, 2022: Evaluation period (only for certified events)
    April 11?14, 2022: Dead period
    April 21 ? July 5, 2022: Quiet period (exceptions below)
    April 22?24, 2022: Evaluation period (only for NCAA certified events)
    April 25?28, 2022: Recruiting period
    May 19?27, 2022: Dead period
    NBA Draft Combine (Dates TBD): Evaluation period (for combine only)
    NBPA Top 100 Camp (Dates TBD): Evaluation period (for NBPA Top 100 Camp only)
    June 17 (noon) ?19 (6 pm), 2022: Evaluation period for scholastic events approved by the NCAA and NFHS and intercollegiate events approved by applicable two-year college governing body only
    June 24 (noon) ? 26 (6 pm), 2022: Evaluation period for scholastic events approved by the NCAA and NFHS and intercollegiate events approved by applicable two-year college governing body only
    July 6-31, 2022: Dead period* (exceptions below)
    July 7?10, 2022: Evaluation period (NCAA certified events, institutional camps and permissible governing body events only)
    July 26?31, 2022: Evaluation period (NCAA College Basketball academy only)
    *A prospective student-athlete may not make an unofficial visit during the month of July unless he has signed a National Letter of Intent or the institution?s written offer of admission and/or financial aid, or the institution has received a financial deposit from the prospective student-athlete in response to an offer of admission

BUT DOES the transfer portal just act like a flea market?  Are those in the tp subject to any of the dates above?  For Austintacious, in poker if you had 7 drawn cards face down would you show them one at a time or at the end.  Depends, right.  Or has he even drawn cards, yet?

btw, White is going to Western NM.
    « Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 07:16:59 PM by kyyote »

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #108 on: April 22, 2022, 01:05:22 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Another thing I wonder about is VC shows TV, Agnew, Kennedy and Boum as being immediately eligible.  But Clardy isn't.  So, Che Evans, Giffa, Maring, Saterfield, and Clardy aren't eligible to play somewhere else.  But we know that Clardy, played last year as did Maring and Saterfield.  So, if they leave, they sit.  If they stay, they are eligible.  Right?  McKinney is shown as not immediately eligible, too.  Also, TV, Agnew, Kennedy and Boum are eligible and could play here or there, anywhere but none have left after Agnew on 4/9.  I still wonder how many will be back. 

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #109 on: April 23, 2022, 11:06:22 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I have 0 clue on who sits pr plays. I did look at McKinney & he seems to be the kid to take over for Boum. If he is going to get fouled, he better work on FT. Also, the more I see clips on  Sumlin, the more I like this kid. His IQ is better than.you think.
    He really is a true PG, but not used to D1 speed. Like I said before, the kid has wheels & can move quick. We need more long shooting guards with experience.
    Can't wait to see who Golding closed on during visits this week.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #110 on: April 25, 2022, 08:14:03 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Welcome Tae Hardy 2* SG transferring from Southern Miss.

Verbally Committed to UTEP

Year2018 (JR)

PositionSG

Height6-3

Weight191

HometownEllenwood, GA

High SchoolBelieve Preparatory Academy

Junior CollegePearl River Community College

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #111 on: April 25, 2022, 08:46:23 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Decent stats.  50% fg, 38% 3pt, 84% FT

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #112 on: April 25, 2022, 08:57:05 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Great. We need more. A lot more.

I took a look at this kids videos on YouTube. He is above average. He has a bit of speed, likes to shoot, & doesn't need to shoot off the pass. His D looked OK, he drives, & hits the shot after contact. I know nothing about rebounding, FTs, IQ, handles, & asst.
    « Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 11:42:08 PM by Chanson »

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #113 on: April 26, 2022, 05:31:29 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • He only played 7 games last year due to shoulder injury.  Hopefully he's back 100%

FWIW, here's what the USM coach had to say at the time.  Coachspeak, but still:

?One of the biggest things that he has that high basketball I.Q.,? Ladner told Pine Belt Sports. ?He does the tough things and gets on the floor for loose balls, but he also keeps the other guys organized out there. He is that quarterback on the floor type of guy.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #114 on: April 26, 2022, 11:06:39 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]1
  • "Disclaimer......not trying to be a little bitch......just saying...I will pop in to read cuz I "dig" the posts. (even ky's long winded ones....lol)"

C'mon man, that poor old man at least has someone to pay attention here. At home not even his dog listens anymore unless it's a call for dinner. Be kind to old people, as a matter of fact this month is "Be Kind to Old People" month. That's a reason for my post, I'm just being kind to the old bugger.

Don't listen to him Ky, you just keep rambling on to your hearts content even if you do sound like THE SOB, presidon't Biden, the Senile Old Bumbler. LOL

;)

Ronstr

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #115 on: April 27, 2022, 06:08:07 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • LOL....Nah Ky is cool. Can't knock an old dude as I am one too.

I feel we will get an announcement today on another player. Wednesday. Might be wishful thinking.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #116 on: April 27, 2022, 07:29:46 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0

• Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #117 on: April 27, 2022, 11:21:57 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Bwahahaha, good one. welcome to the club.  ;D

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #118 on: April 28, 2022, 11:35:15 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I am chomping at the bit here waiting to see who else commits.
    We are in need of shooting guards & a long body. We don't necessarily need a wide body, but a 6'7" to 6'9" versatile long player. We have size in Hamilton, Kalu, & Onyema.
    If we can get some speed & shooting, we around be able to at least repeat a 20 win season.
    Remember, CUSA is going to be a bit watered down for the season coming up. The Miners will need to set the tone early.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #119 on: April 28, 2022, 12:47:58 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • TV to Northwestern in the Big10.  Best of luck to him.