Author Topic: Cowing in portal  (Read 777 times)

gumby

• Worm
    • View Profile
Cowing in portal
« on: December 21, 2021, 12:47:50 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0

• SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: Cowing in portal
    « Reply #1 on: December 21, 2021, 01:01:55 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • well crap.  there goes next season

ATL-Miner

• 2019 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion 2020 Baskeball Official Prediction Thread Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: December 21, 2021, 05:27:56 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • This is just horrible news. I was afraid of losing Cowing.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: December 21, 2021, 05:34:30 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I agree to an extent.  He was the best player on offense and a true football player.  But, I think the awakened Miners passing attack will finally attract receivers  who know they have a chance to catch glory bombs, now.
    « Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 06:11:50 PM by kyyote »

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: December 21, 2021, 05:54:38 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Think about it. He would shine with a better QB. I hope coach has better options coming in at reciever & possibly QB???
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Alaska Miner

• Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: December 22, 2021, 01:02:31 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Welp, there go my hopes for next year. I don't understand how we are supposed to build teams with this stupid "transfer portal" bullsh*t going on??   This was my absolute worst fear. F*ck this "transfer portal" nonsense. And Jacob, if you're serious about this, then f*ck you too, for abandoning the team and the fans who supported you.
    « Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 01:06:29 AM by Alaska Miner »
    Let's go Brandon!

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: December 22, 2021, 07:29:11 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • This is the new version of college sports. It is designed to be for the players and not the schools. There is no loyalty to schools. There is loyalty to the best opportunity for the player to make it to the pros. Education is the potential side benefit for those interested in degrees. We fans looking for loyal Miners they will be the ones that don?t have a chance for the pros. Plenty of those at UTEP. So we root for them and the recruiting/transfer guru for the added spice needed to win. Nothing will ever be the same. The only thing that can be counted on is that you can?t count on anything anymore. Those who hate chaos and movement are going to have a hard time. Riding broncs bareback is how life will be. For the times they are a changing.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: December 22, 2021, 08:16:04 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Wonder if this is really the best move for him?  At a pass happy school like WKU he could maybe put up some monster numbers.  But any school like that has a deep stable.  Would he be The Man like he is here?  I truly wish him the best, but just not sure this is going to work out like he hopes.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: December 22, 2021, 02:42:50 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Many times the young'un feel that they'd get more exposure in another school. What I'd like to remind them is that if they're good they'll be noticed anywhere they go. Look at Aaron Jones, Will Hernandez, that kid that plays for Miami and others.

I guess he wants to be another fish in the ocean instead of the kingpin in a pond.

Ay el, tsk, tsk. His loss.

liebestraum

• 2017 Preseason Prediction Pick Challenge Champion
    • Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: December 25, 2021, 09:36:35 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Considering the offers he?s receiving (Oregon, ASU, Louisville, Ole Miss), those ponds are pretty impressive.

lieb

Alaska Miner

• Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: December 26, 2021, 11:50:46 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I?ve given myself time to process this, since my last post, yet I still feel the same way. This is a kick in the nuts to the fans and the university, and I am seriously questioning why I wound even bother rooting for any team that?s not from a ?pOwEr FiVe? conference. Who can this ?transfer portal? possibly benefit except the big schools with all the money?? How can you possibly build a team this way? I?m so unbelievably pissed at this. Any time a school without all the ?big money? gets a star athlete, they will be gone at the end of the season. You can guarantee it. Screw this bullshit! And to think I traveled to Albuquerque to watch this team, with all the high hopes for next year? :-[
    Screw this! I may end my support of college sports right here, but I haven?t decided yet.
    « Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 10:58:53 AM by Alaska Miner »
    Let's go Brandon!

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: December 27, 2021, 08:15:27 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Alaska,
    I think we all share in the frustration, but what is UTEP supposed to do about it? 

IMO what we are seeing is more of the P5 screwing over everyone else in their relentless pursuit of semi-professional sports.  They want to be 3A, we will be 2A, etc.  I really dislike everything about the way universities have essentially turned into for-profit institutions -- not just sports.

As far as sports go, both college and professional, I think there is change on the distant horizon.  The younger generations are less and less invested in specator sports.  The older generations are being disenchanted.  Meanwhile the networks are throwing more money at it than ever.  They are trying desperately to make foreign audiences care about US sports.  They may have some success with the NBA, but I don't see it happening in other sports.  It appears to me to basically being propped up by fewer and fewer quite wealthy people. The available money will gradually decrease.  As this happens, it will surely force some changes.  We may not all be around to see it, but it wouldn't totally surprise me to see an abrupt collapse either.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: December 27, 2021, 09:28:24 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Yup. Another to add is paying athletes. That is a total P5 move.
    We can do something about all of this.
    1) Grow the program
    2) Get to a better conference
    3) Disban NCAA
    4) Bring coaches that can pick up top athletes ( a la Jackson St)

Or, we can do nothing & just take it up the ars.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: December 27, 2021, 12:16:20 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Well, if the G5 schools are happy with it who are we blame? I don't like it AT ALL either but the Ncaa is run by the P5 and they are the ones with the pull. The G5 has to band together and stop this. They can stop it by starting a new organization where they make their rules to benefit them. Unfortunately, they can't stop players from leaving even if the G5 starts a new organization but they can put all their weight against the Ncaa to stop this portal BullSchiff and let them know that it's only aiding the P5 because they are snatching the few good players that are playing in G5 schools.

The G5 doesn't have the cajones to do a thing about it, though.