Author Topic: UTEP football questions  (Read 444 times)

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
UTEP football questions
« on: December 06, 2021, 08:31:29 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • As we wait for the bowl, and look ahead to next season I have some things I have been pondering, and curious what other's take is?

1)  UNT told you they were going to run the ball up your throat and did.  We told you the same thing and couldn't, except against weak teams.  Why? O-line?  RBs?  Play calling?  Speed?  My best guess is that O line is too slow.  Based on your thoughts, is there anything that could be adjusted?

2)  Our D line was at times dominating, and at times less so.  This also appeared to have a lot to do with the opponent.  Do we really have a top of CUSA D line?  Could this D line play for a top 50 team?  Better?

3)  To me, overall team speed looks to be an issue at every position.  Agree / Disagree?  Is that just something we haven't been able to recruit yet?  Or is that lower priority to Dimel.  I mean I assume he agrees with the need for faster WR and DBs, but what about other positions.  Accepting that we aren't going to get a lot of guys with the full package, which is more important at various positions?  Speed or strength?

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: UTEP football questions
    « Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 10:12:42 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Well, I was always amazed at how Kugler's o-line couldn't block.  Especially pass block, but some of that had to do with when Kugler finally started to save a lost game but having poor Metz risk his sanity and life.  I decided that if you had absolutely no threat of a pass, defenses could just stuff the run.  Aaron Jones was so special he showed that a special back could find the openings.  Do ours right now?  I think they  seem to have trouble seeing the openings.  But the openings aren't gaping holes, either.

So, I was absolutely shocked at our suddenly newly found ability to pass block this season.  At first it was a change up from he dulling running game.  But it became the predominant part of the game at the end.  But you have to ask was it the progression of the team or the level of competition creating the change.  Probably a mixture of both. 

Years ago, I was talking to a Miner TE Johnny Moore I think, who had become a grad assistant working in the weight room with the football players.  He was saying that it was amazing how our Miners were better than like some cartel(maybe an AZ school iIrc) school's players on paper.  There are football players and there are players who play football.  Cowing is a football player.  It is part of him.  He doesn't have to be told to play defensive back if that is what it takes.  I can't  explain it.  It comes from playing.  As a kid.  Spending untold hours as a ten year old practicing catching impossible passes not tossing a ball around.  Practicing defending against those receivers.  So, I believe much of the game is played with the physicality displayed but the mental aspect is so important. 

When the competition got better, we made adjustments.  That was an improvement.  But, what didn't falter was the Miners' fight.  That was constant.  I think we see all kinds of styles of offenses being played these days and we see offensive masterminds coming up with all kinds of shit and ours looks pretty bland, but it is part of the entire package.  Our running looks so unimaginative but it is designed to do what it does for a purpose.  So, that is my answer to your question about UNT and UTEP.  UNT does their running their way and for their reasons.  We do ours differently and for different reasons.  I think if you asked Dimel, he would say that it was a few mistakes that made the difference but that without them, the Miners were doing what they needed to do to win.  I think the different ways of doing things as pieces of a puzzle fitting together.  They create different pictures.

Lawdly lawd!  We need receiver help.  The thing is, what receiver wanted to come play for the team that doesn't pass?  You wait.  Players who catch passes will flock to the prospect of catching Hardison bombs.

Final answer.  Neither speed nor strength.  Minds.  Football players.  Football players hungry for success.

btw, I realize that my post may leave you feeling like I sometimes do when talking to others about politics-we are living in parallel universes that just share the same time and space.  lol
    « Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 10:27:01 AM by kyyote »

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 10:27:03 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I don't want to distract from other thoughts by other people, but I agree 100% that the fight the Miners had this year is something new and probably the single biggest reason I have for thinking Dimel might be the man.  I'm not sure if any of Price's teams had this fight, or Stull's.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 12:18:30 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • What I would wish for is for Hankins to get faster. One reason I think he is suffering with bad yardage is that he wants to bulldoze instead of evading. Heck, someone should tell him to do both. When you can't evade anymore bulldoze your way to more yardage, it's that simple. I see it all the time from RBs in the nfl.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: December 06, 2021, 07:25:51 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • We played weak opposition. The best team we beat went 6-6 in Old Dominion. Boise St has our same record, but they made mince meat out of us. We have some talent, but it's just not as potent as we thought. 
    I think the teams heart got the. To a bowl game & not the talent. It doesn't matter what I think, just win this damn bowl game.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.