Author Topic: TV for fridays game  (Read 1008 times)

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
TV for fridays game
« on: December 02, 2021, 11:50:06 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • For anyone not in the know the UTEP-Enemas U. basketball game will be locally televised by channel 14 at 6 p.m.

zyxwvutsru

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football
    • Assayer
      • View Profile
    Re: TV for fridays game
    « Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 02:15:19 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • This is the first time I have ever liked one of your posts Mojo. Hahahahahaha

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 09:05:37 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • If you are in El Paso, go to the game.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 11:21:14 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • This is the first time I have ever liked one of your posts Mojo. Hahahahahaha

C'mon man!

Alaska Miner

• Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: December 03, 2021, 12:39:18 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • If you are in El Paso, go to the game.

Amen. This shouldn?t have to even be said.
    Let's go Brandon!

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: December 03, 2021, 01:39:04 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • For some reason, I am looking more forward to this game than any. If our bigs can compete with there's & shooters are 35+% from the arc, Miners should pull this off.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Minermojo

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: December 03, 2021, 08:44:16 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • For some reason, I am looking more forward to this game than any. If our bigs can compete with there's & shooters are 35+% from the arc, Miners should pull this off.

Their bigs beat us like a unwanted dog under the basket. There was no answer to those easy layups. Even when the Miners tried to take it to the basket their bigs were swatting them down. I think Boum had three layups shoved down his throat. That was the biggest reason we lost. Our bigs weren't doing anything under our basket.

Even though we lost I loved how the Miners never gave up. They're like the football team they keep coming at 'em. I don't think cusa has any team as good as the Ugglies and I see us having a good year against cusa teams. That defense aside from the easy baskets is stifling and they are all over the court. I'm just sorry that Bienemy got hot too late in the game. He could have made a big difference as the Ugglies would have been forced to leave the paint and come out to guard him more. But, for the most part he was non-existant in the game until, alas, later.

I didn't see Collins play after those miserable 3 pointers he took early in the game. As for Verhoevan he needs to be more aggressive under the basket and forced some shots and hopefully getting fouled but he never tried it except for a couple of instances where he did make a shot. For a big guy he has a fear of getting in any battle with the other big guys.

I didn't like how we shot. We are terrible shooters for the most part and that's has to change otherwise we're doomed.

Coach has to recruit big guys with guts for next year. Maybe he can ask the Enemas U. coach where he keeps getting his players because this guy can recruit with the best of them. That skinny kid from Enemas U. reminded me of Jeep Jackson, he keeps coming through every time. He's good.

Oh well, I'm sorry we lost but that's life. Now, if you'll excuse me I'm gonna go beat up my wife because we lost.

Just kidding. LOL

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: December 03, 2021, 09:14:36 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Uncontested lay ups. Goes back to my theory on coaches coming up from DII & less. Don't have the know how to coach bigs. They are so used to playing small that the big game is secondary. Kansas is going to kill us.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: December 04, 2021, 06:26:19 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I kinda disagree a little.  I sort of want to say we were outcoached, but I don't see what Golding could have done except go away from the defense he is trying to teach these kids.

NMSU is a solid team at every position with a very good coach and they are used to playing together.  Jans knew how to break down our D and had the horses to do it.

Nearly every back door was because one of our guys got beaten off the dribble from the perimeter.  A big had to drop his man to help prevent a layup, and that left his big open.  Don't get beaten off the dribble.  But our weakness is definitely inside play.  They were shooting layups and we were shooting jumpers.

We played a very good mid-major on our court and were neck and neck the whole game. 

I really like the way Sibley is coming along.  7 boards to add to his 18 points.  I do wish it had been Kennedy on Rice for that last shot.

Boum took a while to get the flow of the game back in his blood.  I think if he had played the last games we might have squeaked this out.
    Bienemy did not play well, and a good game from him would have made the difference too.

Hollins needs to stop jacking up 3s.  Maring too.  I like Kalu but he's not ready for big time yet.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: December 04, 2021, 07:11:47 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I liked that we played them tough but watching them drop the ball through the hoop uncontested as they did is just unacceptable. We have plenty of bench players doing nothing. They should have fouled the bigs every time. Make them earn the points at the line is better than letting them run the clock down and flush a dunk time after time like you?re helpless just didn?t make sense. I not a coach but it seems to me that we had no coach for the last five minutes. Don?t get me wrong. I am not ragging on Golding. But that was just ridiculously unacceptable to stand by and watch.
    Bienemy is going to be hot/cold. Just the kind of unreliability that will drive you nuts. But Sibley is going to be the man that TV should be. I am really wondering what has happened to TV. Something is going on with him. He wasn?t a beast last year but he was a solid presence. Now he goes scoreless and fouls out?  I mean he and Boum were a pretty good start to a team. Now I am not sure he wants to play. But Sibley is finding his sea legs. He is finding his place and he wants to be The Man. 

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: December 04, 2021, 07:29:58 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I think TV was doing what you were saying the others should do.  Foul in that situation.  And you are correct and I didn't think about it.  What good are Maring and Kalu and Onyema except to foul hard every time one of those plays happens?

I lean back to outcoached, and Chanson might be right about guys moving up not understanding how to play bigs.

On the other hand, Maring and Onyema are usually huge negatives defensively when they are out there so I don't know.  Kalu plays decent D but still gets pushed around.  He needs to hit the weight room hard in the offseason and toughen up mentally.  Worked for big Ced.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: December 04, 2021, 07:34:12 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • They got us on the back door all night. I'm not saying coach can't teach to defend that, I'm saying they were not ready for it & it cost us the game. I knew it would happen. Much more to learn.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: December 04, 2021, 11:20:46 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • So, I was at the game. I saw lots of good things, but we got beat by a better team & coach. At best, we are a middle of the road team.
    Golding: flat out got out coached. No contestation for the back door all night means coach never addressed.
    Bieniemy- had issues with his jumper, but hustled and made plays.
    Boum- would have had more if our inside guys could score. Yes he was guarded like a tick on a dog, but Jans knew to defend on the perimeter
    Saterfield- kid is so athletic, but still can't get defense. He needs more than 2min to get warm & start hitting, but his D didn't allow
    Agnew- kid hustles & plays D, but is also played sparingly because of poor O.
    Hollins- makes too many mistakes & jumper % is too low for a grad transfer.
    Kennedy- his effort is awesome. D is sound & shooting was better last night. He needs to drive to the hoop with the ball every night.
    Sibley- getting better & U can see he is getting more confidence. Need his length to help with our big man woes.
    Verho- bad night. A smarter team took advantage of his aggression. He should know better. Still no post game.
    Kalu- I like his effort, but he's still green & has no post game.
    Maring- saw little playing time because guards doing layups on him. He's too slow & also no post moves.
    Against long teams, our only chance is to jack up 3s & other teams know it. It was the same issue with UC Riverside.
    It would have gone to OT if they miss that last shot, but that's what happens when you play soft against a shooter.

We move on to a game in which talent I going to humble us all. I just hope Miners can keep it within 20pts & come away with no injuries.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: December 04, 2021, 12:02:16 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I am just stunned by the last five minutes on last night's game.  Even my wife was freaking out about it.  I was thinking Hack a Shaq and just wondering if the team couldn't have gone to a zone defense, something.  But it just keep on.  1. I don't understand not doing something, anything.  2. I don't for the life of me understand how the team could be that fundamentally defenseless.  Unprepared doesn't get close to the truth.  I mean even the assistant coaches?  What were they doing and saying watching that?  Anyone, any ideas? 

I am seriously asking what would you have done to if anything. 

Minermojo

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: December 04, 2021, 12:26:54 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Verhoevan needs to jack up those under the basket layups even if they get swatted down or he misses. At least the other team will know that they have to guard the paint. He's a chicken Schiff and is afraid of even putting it up to the basket. Man, if I was coach I'd get on his case badly and tell him that if he doesn't want to play to let him know because it's not like he's being an asset under the basket. He needs to practice a hook shot so that those bigs will want to swat it down and maybe, perhaps foul him. I hate his timidness and I would do something about it. Even before the game started he looked like, "what am I doing here?"

Hollins should sit down until coach makes him realize that he's no 3 point shooter. 

...and yes, Golding was outcoached big time.