Author Topic: UTEP Basketball and Ticket Prices?  (Read 638 times)

kyyote

• Administrator
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
UTEP Basketball and Ticket Prices?
« on: October 31, 2021, 09:51:40 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I was just checking the espn+ schedule for basketball and UTEP's first game is the 9th of November against Western New Mexico and you can get tickets to see this basketball game for as low as $41.  You can see OU for $2, Ok State for $11, and the Miners for $41.  That should bring in the younger folks instead of the blue hairs, right?  I mean elite teams, in elite leagues, playing other elite teams demand elite money.  Is this another one of those trust the process, deals?  Are we demonstrating some kind of perverse demonstration of our ability to command Big Money like Big Teams do?  I'm not sure that this is the way to build the program, especially while the conference seems to be, well, shakier than an alcoholic with DT's skiing naked in a snow storm past an open bar.
    « Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 12:47:01 PM by kyyote »

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    Re: UTEP Basketball and Lost Minds
    « Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 10:29:58 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • If you visit UTEP's website and their ticket link you can find tickets for $5 - $20. You can find expensive ones too but it looks like ticket sales have been good.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: November 01, 2021, 07:02:38 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • MiW is referring to Ticketmaster who I think is the official ticket sales company as that's where the utep website takes you.  I think vivid seats (ESPN link) is a reseller like stubhub.  There's not a lot of good seats available in the high dollar areas, and actually not a whole lot of $5 tickets.  It looks like the sections behind the goals are not available.  Those may be student seating?  Or band and dance team?

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: November 01, 2021, 07:19:41 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I didn't look to see ticket prices.  But this is from espn+;

West New Mexico   
       UTEP
    TBD      Tickets as low as $41   Don Haskins Center, El Paso, TX   
    William Carey   
       Southern Miss
    TBD      Tickets as low as $17   Reed Green Coliseum, Hattiesburg, MS   
    Brescia University   
       Middle Tennessee
    TBD         Murphy Center, Murfreesboro, TN   
    Western Colorado   
       Weber State
    TBD   ESPN+   Tickets as low as $15   Dee Events Center, Ogden, UT   
    Dickinson State   
       Montana
    TBD   ESPN+      Dahlberg Arena, Missoula, MT   
       UC Riverside   
       San Diego State
    TBD      Tickets as low as $9   Viejas Arena, San Diego, CA   
       Eastern Washington   
       Nevada
    TBD      Tickets as low as $16   Lawlor Events Center, Reno, NV   
    Fresno Pacific   
       Fresno State
    TBD         Save Mart Center, Fresno, CA   
    Neumann   
       Drexel
    TBD         Daskalakis Athletic Center, Philadelphia, PA   
       St. Francis (BKN)   
       Wisconsin
    TBD      Tickets as low as $2   Kohl Center, Madison, WI   
       Eastern Illinois   
       Northwestern
    TBD      Tickets as low as $7   Welsh-Ryan Arena, Evanston, IL   
       Kansas City   
       Minnesota
    TBD      Tickets as low as $7   Williams Arena, Minneapolis, MN   
       Longwood   
       Iowa
    TBD      Tickets as low as $2   Carver-Hawkeye Arena, Iowa City, IA   
       Florida International   
       Georgia
    TBD   SECN+
    ESPN+   Tickets as low as $5   Stegeman Coliseum, Athens, GA   
       Elon   
       Florida
    TBD   SECN+   Tickets as low as $3   Exactech Arena at Stephen C. O'Connell Center, Gainesville, FL   
       Evansville   
       Cincinnati
    TBD   ESPN+   Tickets as low as $4   Fifth Third Arena, Cincinnati, OH   
       UMBC   
       UMass
    TBD   ESPN+   Tickets as low as $42   William D. Mullins Memorial Center, Amherst, MA   
       Boston University   
       Rhode Island
    TBD      Tickets as low as $24   Ryan Center, Kingston, RI   
       Northwestern State   
       Oklahoma
    TBD      Tickets as low as $2   Lloyd Noble Center, Norman, OK   
       Utah Valley   
       Boise State
    TBD      Tickets as low as $14   ExtraMile Arena, Boise, ID   
    Wiley   
       Lamar
    TBD   ESPN+   Tickets as low as $14   Montagne Center, Beaumont, TX   
       Long Island University   
       San Francisco
    TBD      Tickets as low as $13   War Memorial at the Sobrato Center, San Francisco, CA   
       CSU Fullerton   
       Santa Clara
    TBD      Tickets as low as $12   Leavey Center, Santa Clara, CA   
       Brown   
    Salve Regina
    TBD   ESPN+         
       Columbia   
       Fordham
    TBD   ESPN+   Tickets as low as $22   Rose Hill Gymnasium, Bronx, NY   
       UIC   
       Dayton
    TBD   ESPN+   Tickets as low as $7   UD Arena, Dayton, OH   
       Delaware   
       Davidson
    TBD   ESPN+      John M. Belk Arena, Davidson, NC   
       Stony Brook   
       George Mason
    TBD   ESPN+   Tickets as low as $26   EagleBank Arena, Fairfax, VA   
       Southern   
       Louisville
    TBD      Tickets as low as $5   KFC Yum! Center, Louisville, KY   
       Maine   
       Virginia Tech
    TBD   ACCNX   Tickets as low as $5   Cassell Coliseum, Blacksburg, VA   
       Presbyterian   
       Clemson
    TBD   ACCNX   Tickets as low as $3   Littlejohn Coliseum, Clemson, SC   

Now, if there are $5 tickets and espn+ is saying the cheapest seat is $41 someone should fix that so that people like me don't think the people at UTEP have lost their minds.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 01, 2021, 07:31:41 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • from the espn+ link;

$41
     ea
    Section B ? Row 34

1?4 tickets  |  Zone Seating

$42
     ea
    Section J ? Row 38

1?8 tickets

$49
     ea
    Section K ? Row 30

1?4 tickets  |  Zone Seating

the site won't let me copy the seating chart but these are sections that go from the bottom to the top at the corners of the court.  Like section b is next to the student section.  So, I don't know what tickets sell for but if UTEP is allowing someone to say that the cheapest seats are $41 the marketing department should damned sure fix that.
    « Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 07:40:25 AM by kyyote »

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: November 01, 2021, 08:11:48 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0

• Austintacious

• The Den's Official Prediction Thread Wizzard 2015 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
    • Patience Jackass Patience
      • View Profile
    Re: UTEP Basketball and Ticket Prices?
    « Reply #6 on: November 01, 2021, 04:37:04 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Seats behind the south goal (where the teams enter and exit the arena) are held by season ticket holders.  My family members have had several of those seats since the Haskins Center opened. 

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: November 02, 2021, 07:50:12 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Not so much on the topic of tickets, but on basketball.

CUSA under both current and future configuration is a one bid league.  Therefore the only way we get in the NCAA tourney is to win the conference tourney.  OR to have such a resume that we cannot be ignored.  Given that reality, I would like to see us schedule the toughest damn out of conference schedule imaginable.  Go play at Gonzaga, at North Carolina, at Kansas, at Kentucky, at Duke.  Playing that kind of OOC schedule will make CUSA seem like the weaklings they are.  Losses to those teams don't hurt you, but wins help.  And if you are playing those schools and getting exposure, it will encourage better recruits to come play for you.  I don't see a downside to this.

On a different note, I think having the conference tourney winner get the bid in a one-bid league is stupid.  The original thinking behind this approach was that the regular season winner was probably going to get a bid anyway and this gave you a 2nd team that didn't have the resume but was peaking late.  It's just not that way in CUSA.  There's one bid, and one only.  Your best team over the course of the season should get it.  Tourney should be for NIT attention.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: November 02, 2021, 08:32:04 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I agree with you on all points.  Playing 5 New Mexico state directional schools is not only worthless, it is an insult to supporters to charge to watch scrimmages.  Then, there's the chance you loose to one of them and now you are insulted and injured.  Not only should UTEP Play the best they can, but so should every cusa team.  The conference is about to either implode or find a way to change the inevitable and making it the tight league that just got tougher than the rest by forging their strength in fire.  Twenty bucks to watch the Miners play some top tier team holds considerable interest.  Playing the Eastern Middle of New Mexico at Muleshoe in the Don and paying to do it is at best charity.  A donation to the school.  But, you have to be bored stiff to feel like the excitement of this game is a step up in your life.  These games are really, "Give us a donation but hey here's a little something for it."  They might just as well give you a lapel pin at the door.  The NCAA sees it, too.  Every one of these exhibition level games is a lost opportunity.

The same thing happens in football.  We have just almost played our conference competition level to its natural conclusion.  If cusa adds five nm directional schools to the conference it would seal the coffin.  I honestly believe that an eight team league playing the toughest schedule in the nation would be an elevator ride to the top, rather than our continued slide into oblivion.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: November 02, 2021, 08:53:02 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Well, football is a slightly different animal because you don't get that many games and 6 wins is the magic number.

In basketball you'd still like to play a couple tuneup games, but then go after it.

Kind of related - we had a freshman basketball team in HS, and we played other freshman teams in conference play.  But our coach signed us up for a 16 and under city league for OOC play. I really don't know how many of them were under 16 because they all had moustaches and were big.  And they kicked our asses every time.  But damn, if the other freshman teams weren't easy.  We went unbeaten in conference.  This is what I'm saying will happen.  I don't care if we lose every one of those premier games, all of a sudden conference play looks like cupcakes.  AND you're getting national exposure, plus I imagine you get paid enough to pay for the travel.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: November 02, 2021, 09:45:18 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • We had qualified for a bowl game but it was as empty as could be. If we lose the rest of the games this year how much credibility has UTEP gained?  Forgive me for changing lanes and directions on you but cusa is at a critical point. It needs to change from the transitional conference to a conference others aspire to. Adding a bunch of weaker teams creates a low tide and lowers all boats. We are already at the bottom and the water level is dropping.   This needs to be done before it?s too late and it probably already is.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: November 02, 2021, 10:21:49 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I agree with everything Sisy said and some of what Ky said. Sooooo, let's make Sisy our AD and Ky as his ass istent.

The problem I see with Sisys idea is that it's not that easy to schedule those basketball schools. They probably have their schedules made for ten years.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: November 02, 2021, 10:33:50 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I think it's a lot easier to get a game at their house if you're not demanding a return game.  If you don't start now it never happens.  Every day Senter should do one intentional thing to improve us, no matter how small or insignificant it seems.

Do not despise the day of small beginnings.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: November 02, 2021, 07:01:10 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I think it's a lot easier to get a game at their house if you're not demanding a return game.  If you don't start now it never happens.  Every day Senter should do one intentional thing to improve us, no matter how small or insignificant it seems.

Do not despise the day of small beginnings.

I think playing away at big time basketball builds a stronger player. When the time comes at the end of the season and we have to play in our conference tourney I guarantee the noise won't even faze them. The best part is if we win at those venues.