Author Topic: Athletic Director  (Read 3036 times)

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Athletic Director
« on: September 17, 2017, 01:37:14 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I spoke with a reliable source that UTEP has not put together a committee to interview for the position. We probably won't see any activity until after the football season.
    Just so you know how UTEP works, a committee is chosen & a 3rd party company is hired to find good applicants. The committee will meet & choose the top 5 of the applicants to interview. Then the interview process starts. It will take a month or 2 to complete the interviewing & the top 2 (possibly 3) will get in front of Natalicio. She more than likely will have Stull sitting with her to make the best choice. All these names that are being thrown around are the rumors that media is starting. If you remember, no one knew Kuglar was in the running until the very end.
    What does this mean? It means it's going to be a while. Please remember Natalicio offered a new 2yr contract to Stull & he declined. UTEP was not prepared for that & that means they are starting from scratch in the process.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    Re: Athletic Director
    « Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 01:42:24 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • She did say that by early November we should have our new AD. That would be good timing for starting the new head football coach search by the new AD.

liebestraum

• 2017 Preseason Prediction Pick Challenge Champion
    • Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 03:18:05 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Using head-hunters (3 party companies) to find/screen potential applicants is used by many universities (mine included) - but mainly for high-profile jobs.  In fact, in my career, I have been contacted twice by such companies on behalf of universities looking for hire a dean of science (Cal Poly-Pomona and someplace in Florida - said no to both).

I do agree that if UTEP offered Stull an extension and were surprised he declined, then they'd be a bit behind.  Usually you want to have the search committee in place before the start of the school year.

Hope it works out well.

lieb

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 06:24:25 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I have been both on the committee and interviewed by a committee a number of times.  It has been my experience that in at least half of the cases it was for show.  The decisions were often not what the committee recommended, or the committee was "steered" by those in position to deal with committee members that didn't get steered.  Here's a wildly random thought that just passed through.  What if the hired Kugler to take the AD position and bumped Natkin up to Head Coach!  Kugler has been strong off of the field.

Hey, I saw pig fly in the Sun Bowl, once.

FarWestTexas

• Worm
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 11:47:25 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Jesus here have I been, there's rumors of Clueless Kugs as AD?
    What the hell?

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 04:16:22 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Interesting idea, but just -- no.  I would seriously question his ability to schmooze with donors and fundraise.

I am increasingly of the opinion that the ability to raise money should be the #1 skillset the new AD needs to have. 

I really think UTEP has a unique story to sell.  I would love to see a young and hungry AD come in and pursue major corporations to take us under their wing.  Sort of like Nike did with Oregon.  Obviously finding a Nike is a stretch, but if you could nail something like that down you'd be a god.  But it takes seeing beyond the immediate limitations and finding a way past them.

liebestraum

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 05:26:02 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I would love to see a young and hungry AD come in and pursue major corporations to take us under their wing.  Sort of like Nike did with Oregon.  Obviously finding a Nike is a stretch, but if you could nail something like that down you'd be a god. 

Chicos Tacos come to mind.....

lieb

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 10:32:33 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • We need a beautiful, alluring, woman for AD to shmooze the big time donors. They say a beautiful woman is hard to turn down if she's asking for something. A Marilyn Monroe type. Hey, don't knock it it's not like the current AD is doing any better.   8)

;D

MinerMaestro

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 11:47:55 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Is playing college sports a pre-requisite?  I mean, just like Al Bundy, I played high school football!  If they can accept that, then I'll take the damn job!  Hell, can't be any worse than what we're currently doing....

8)
    "My centre is giving way, my right is retreating, situation excellent, I am attacking."
    - Gen Ferdinand Foch

liebestraum

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 03:46:52 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • We need a beautiful, alluring, woman for AD to shmooze the big time donors. They say a beautiful woman is hard to turn down if she's asking for something. A Marilyn Monroe type. Hey, don't knock it it's not like the current AD is doing any better.   8)

;D

Schmoozing donors is what university presidents do as well.

lieb

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 04:22:00 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I probably wouldn't be great at schmoozing donors, but I bet I can hire a football coach for half of Kug's salary that will win as many games as this year's team will.  You still can't do worse than zero wins, right?

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 12:37:35 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0

;D

Schmoozing donors is what university presidents do as well.

lieb

I said beautiful and alluring. Poor Ms. Natalicio is so far from that as we are to Jupiter.   :P

:D

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 05:32:20 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0

• SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 07:15:05 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • This phrase appears to be the closest thing to saying that not sucking is desired:
    Provides leadership for a competitive athletic program in Conference USA

Wow, that's the height of our athletic aspirations.  We are doomed.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 08:28:01 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • We compete.