Author Topic: CUSA Defections  (Read 1310 times)

saminer

• Worm
    • View Profile
CUSA Defections
« on: October 20, 2021, 12:33:05 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • My understanding is that UTSA, UAB, FAU, UNT, Rice, and Charlotte  have applied for membership in the AAC.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: CUSA Defections
    « Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 02:00:50 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Yes. UTEP is basically on an island. The best choice would be MW, but UTEP has mucked that opportunity up a few times. Let's see what Senter has up his sleeves.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 05:00:41 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0

• Charlotte 49ers
    Marshall Thundering Herd
    FAU
    WKU
    MTSU
    FIU
    ODU

WEST

UTSA
    UTEP
    UAB
    LT
    RICE
    UNT
    USM

Let's  say a ten to twelve team league would be a good number.  If that were the case, there would only need to be one team or two added to the East and two or three added to the west.  Liberty would be just fine for the East from the independents and Coastal Carolina would be a replacement for Charlotte.  The West could take/ask Texas State to help get to West Texas and maybe the LA Rajin' Cajuns and or LA Monroe all three from the Sun Belt Conference.  Then, there is the gag in the mouth, stick in the mud, aggies.  They are homeless and it is damned hard to look down our noses when you only stand a bit over five foot, yourself.

zyxwvutsru

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football
    • Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 05:32:56 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Fuck em and feed em fish

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 05:46:38 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0

• SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: October 21, 2021, 06:06:20 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • IF Liberty is interested take them in a heartbeat.  I'm not at all sure why Coastal would be interested, but if they are take them too.

Rumors that USM is going to Sun Belt.

We might as well add NMSU.  We play them every year anyway.  Might as well make that a conference game and add another money game to the schedule.

If SHSU wants to move up, add them.  That would bring us to 4 teams in the west.  Still not enough. 

I just googled the various conference TV contracts.  Here's part of the problem right here.

AAC -- Each school gets $7M per year
    MWC -- Each school gets $4M per year
    MAC  -- $600k per year
    Sun Belt -- $ 500K per year
    CUSA -- $400-500k per year

Now presumably AAC gets renegotiated, but also reportedly ESPN told them who they wanted to add for the media markets so they will still get a good deal.

For sure the remaining CUSA teams should pay out exit fees directly to member schools and schools that join to be used to upgrade their programs.  this is not looking good for us at all.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: October 21, 2021, 12:34:18 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Fuck em and feed em fish

My feelings exactly. It seems that they always want to ride our apron strings.

Let's hope the mwc changes their mind...and that we don't screw it up this time, but I doubt either one happens.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: October 21, 2021, 08:13:26 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I am very concerned about this, as I have been for some time.  This may very well come to to a battle between cusa and the sunbelt and guess who is the wounded conference looking for help?  If the remaining cusa teams abandon ship we are screwed.  Marshall and LA Tech leave?
    The question is what have Senter and others been doing behind the scenes.  Anything?  They had to know it was coming as soon as UT and OU made the move.  Reading Senter's statement, he basically said we are a good member of cusa.  Weakly tried to sell the athletics a little and our academics a little, too.  I wasn't sure if he was trying to be cusa supportive or trying to attract help, or nothing.  Just saying something.  I hate to say it, but we have nothing to offer.  We are off the beaten track and the market is way way too small to even count.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: October 21, 2021, 09:06:00 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • You can only hope Senter has a plan. Not sure if contract with CUSA pays UTEP out if they decide to dump us for more east coast teams. We shall see.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Austintacious

• The Den's Official Prediction Thread Wizzard 2015 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
    • Patience Jackass Patience
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: October 22, 2021, 05:08:04 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I'm not sure waiting for the MWC to get friendly with UTEP is the answer.  The AAC lost 3 teams and is adding 6.  Maybe, UTEP should pursue that path since it seems there might be an opening to make it an even number. 

We can't wait for the Sun Belt to steal the rest of the CUSA teams. 

We need to act now. 

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: October 22, 2021, 01:03:10 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • MArshall and ODU allegedly jumping ship along with USM

Leaves us (I think):
    UTEP
    LT
    FIU
    WKU
    MTSU

Add NMSU and Liberty -- no brainers, brings it up to 7.  Add one more to make it 8.  Split the exit fees.  Make use of the extra slot on your schedule for a 2nd money game.

Obviously we dance if we get an offer, just like all the other ugly girls standing off on the side by themselves, and hope desperately not to be the last one standing by yourself.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: October 22, 2021, 01:18:11 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Yeah Sis, but like all the ugly girls start dancing by themselves or with another ugly girl just to get on the dance floor. I rue the day that UTEP is such an outlier. It seems not too many conferences want to bring us in because of the travel costs. We're like the mainland Hawai'i. It sucks to be so far from everyone. Schools that don't even have a history or the academics get chose over us ONLY because we're on a desert island.

Austintacious

• The Den's Official Prediction Thread Wizzard 2015 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
    • Patience Jackass Patience
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: October 24, 2021, 05:59:02 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Chanson, have you heard anything you can tell us?  Or if something is in the works?

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: October 24, 2021, 01:17:11 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • quote from abcnews from Friday is encouraging.  Senter was at JMU wasn't he?  Am I remembering that right?  Madison would fit with WKU and MTU on the eastern region.

But UTEP Athletic Director Jim Senter told ABC-7 on Friday that he can assure fans that "UTEP will be in a Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) conference" when all the dust settles. He declined to elaborate whether that meant C-USA would be adding schools or if UTEP was working on plan to defect to another conference itself. What it does mean is that UTEP has no plans to give it a go as an independent.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: October 24, 2021, 01:36:50 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • If you?re asking where Senter was AD prior to UTEP it was The Citadel