Author Topic: basketball  (Read 13342 times)

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
basketball
« on: October 12, 2021, 08:07:16 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • There's usually rumors floating around by now about how things are looking.  Which guys are looking good, who got fat, etc.  Does anyone have anything?

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: basketball
    « Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 02:56:47 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Does anyone know what times Golding has open practice every day? I'm thinking of taking a half day to check it out. Thanks
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 02:33:39 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • 2☆ 6'7" 205lb SF Jonathan Dos Anjos out of Loyola Marymount signed with Miners & looks to be eligible immediately.
    Kid was playing D1, then transfers to play JUCO, then comes here with what looks to be 3 years of eligibility.
    I saw some clips of the kid and he looks like an athletic shooter. I'm really not sure what to think of the kid until I see him play. His stats show he is good at rebounding, but looking at him on film, he needs to improve on post moves & was playing on a bad knee.
    He didn't really pass the eye test with me. I'm thinking he's a strong back up. We shall see.

In other news, my buddy at TECH saw Williams play in a few exhibition games & said he was a force in the paint, but needs work on D. He said he won't play if his defense doesn't improve. I told him Terry couldn't teach him that skill. Hopefully Tech will.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 11:05:31 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Fellas,
    Today, a couple of us were able to get into a Miner basketball practice & just DAMN. Golding is very intense, exciting, and every kid (including myself) wanted to run through a wall.
    Nov 1st is an open practice, but you need to call the athletic department asap to reserve a spot.
    You won't regret it.
    Also, I'll give an update on the players & how they look this weekend.

Austintacious

• The Den's Official Prediction Thread Wizzard 2015 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
    • Patience Jackass Patience
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 02:31:13 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Two of my brothers attended a practice last week. They were impressed. Also, the players and coach came up to them and introduced themselves and shook hands. Well worth attending if you can go.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 12:53:17 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Two of my brothers attended a practice last week. They were impressed. Also, the players and coach came up to them and introduced themselves and shook hands. Well worth attending if you can go.

Now, that's how to build a rapport. Nice job, Golding. It shows discipline too.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: October 29, 2021, 03:35:56 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • So, the practice was fantastic. Golding & Cox came to shake my hand and talked a bit. Some kids came, but the others were in there zone. 100% understandable.
    1st off, Golding is super energetic & is calling all the shots. Practice goes from drill to drill in an instant. Only a 2hr practice & they got every second out of it. This guy is bringing an exciting brand to UTEP.

Let's talk about scholarship kids:
    Boum- had a cast on, but getting it off next day. He did running drills along the side lines.
    Giffa- quick guard still learning, but he is good with security.
    Satterfield- strong, athletic, & quick. Not the shooter I wanted, but will drive effectively.
    Agnew- very fast & shot lights out. Tpughest kid on the court.
    White- still working on his game
    Kennedy- most athletic of the bunch & hitting all his shots. Dunks with bodies on him. Damn
    Hollins- smart & had some clutch shots. He will help.
    Bieniemy- good ball control & hits shots with frequency. He is much improved.
    Sibley- good command of the game, works in the paint well & good footwork. Needs to get strong if he's going to bang with big bodies.
    Kalu- strong & can clear paint. Still learning.
    Onyema- athletic & can jump. Needs to work on assignments & positioning. Good defender.
    Maring- big, strong, & rebounds well. This is our starting center.
    Verho- a leader & confident. His role is now PF & he is ready. He needs more post moves, but what shocked me is he can shoot well from top of key.
    Bieniemy, Kennedy, Agnew, & Boum will be our go to long ball shooters. Very impressive. Maring, Verho, & Onyema will clear the paint, while Hollins & Sibley will be driving wings. Every kid worked hard. This team will drive a better team crazy with energy & defense. No room for lazy on a Golding squad.

BREVO

• Worm
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: October 30, 2021, 07:48:51 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Great write up, it?s good to read about the progress of the team.  Looks like a huge difference in the team?s chemistry this year under Coach Golding.
    « Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 09:07:52 AM by BREVO »

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: October 30, 2021, 08:19:46 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Thanks for the writeup.

Based on what you are saying, does this sound right?

PG:  Bienemy mostly, a few minutes from Giffa
    SG: Boum, agnew
    SF:  Kennedy, Satterfield, Hollins, Sibley
    PF:  Verho,Onyema
    C:   Maring, Kalu

Still a bit thin in the paint, seems like?

Did it look like they are developing schemes to generate open shots for Boum?  Legit screens instead of the half-ass Terry screens?

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: October 30, 2021, 09:06:15 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • That is about right, Sis.
    I think the ones getting little minutes would be White, Satterfield, Giffa, & Kalu. In regards to being thin in the paint, don't forget Sibley is 6'8" & Hollins at 6'7" is a veteran. Also, our PG is a long 6'5".  I think we will be OK even if a big man gets injured. UTEP is built like UAB, only a couple of thick bodies, but everyone is long.
    In regards to offense: pass/shoot, pick & roll, & feeding a big looks like the plan of attack.  Our great shooting will open up a lot for close jumpers & dunks.
    « Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 10:56:20 AM by Chanson »

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: October 30, 2021, 11:30:33 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • That is about right, Sis.
    I think the ones getting little minutes would be White, Satterfield, Giffa, & Kalu. In regards to being thin in the paint, don't forget Sibley is 6'8" & Hollins at 6'7" is a veteran. Also, our PG is a long 6'5".  I think we will be OK even if a big man gets injured. UTEP is built like UAB, only a couple of thick bodies, but everyone is long.
    In regards to offense: pass/shoot, pick & roll, & feeding a big looks like the plan of attack.  Our great shooting will open up a lot for close jumpers & dunks.

I hope you're right about our "great shooting." Last year I remember people saying that too, and it was not "so great." I wish for a team like the one that beat us in Denver (?) in the first game of the Dance when all Butler had to do was shoot from the outside because their shooters played lights out. They couldn't miss. I remember all the groans from Miner fans every time they shot because they HARDLY EVER missed. That's the kind of shooting I love. Don't talk to me about players making a lot of points I go with percentages more because someone can shoot every time he gets the ball and he's bound to be a high scorer but they never mention how many he missed. My cousin used to play like that. We used to call him, "El Yo Shooteo" (I'll shoot), he always was high scorer for a reason.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: November 05, 2021, 05:35:03 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Here is some funny news. Julyan Stone, Wayne Portolatin, & Claude Brittain have been added to the roster according to Verbal Vommits. Someone over there is smoking that hippy grass.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: November 05, 2021, 06:42:42 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Awesome!  Our chances just got a lot better!

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: November 07, 2021, 08:36:10 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • It looks like the 6'7" JUCO Jonathan dos Anjos signed with UTEP. His videos show as much defense as offense. I also saw a short when he dunked from the free-throw line. He is impressive.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: November 16, 2021, 11:21:24 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • So, I was at the game today & the only kid that didn't play was Sibley. It's a D2 team, so I knew we would kill them.
    Golding: Dude is intense & pushes the kids hard. I love this guy.
    Maring: Did well on both ends. Is it me or does he move in slow mo?
    Verho: worked hard. Needs to work on more post moves.
    Kalu: impressive. This kid is getting better every time I see him. I want more.
    Onyema: very athletic, but doesn't know where to be at times. Needs work.
    Hollins: Trues too hard. Needs work to be effective. He should get it by conf play.
    Kennedy: Had some great plays. Once the kid hits his jumper well, he will be good.
    White: Didn't really do enough. Needs to be more aggressive.
    Satterfield: shot really well. Needs work on D.
    Bieniemy: this kid is as good as Julyan Stone. Needs to be stronger against opposition.
    Giffa: He is getting better. Needs more work on making shots & playing quicker.

This team is getting better. Pacific will be a good test on how these kids deal with talent. If our defense can step up, we will win.