Author Topic: basketball  (Read 13351 times)

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Re: basketball
« Reply #195 on: March 12, 2022, 09:26:39 AM »
  • [applaud]1
  • [smite]0
  • That was nice. I thought JB might be one of the 1st out. No one really knows what is going to happen. I remember players entered the portal & decided to stay. I like that Golding is open, excepting, & supportive of what ever these kids want to do. As long as kids are open, he knows ahead of time on planning for the future.
    The funny thing is CRT came in and said he needed time to build a program, while Golding said we already have the kids for my program. Difference is the attitude & I love it. 
    Golding knows we need a PG & a big grown ass man to control the paint.
    The piece I am comfortable with is Golding can find offensive minded kids & has proven he can train them to play defense. Just ask Boum.
    The future looks bright.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #196 on: March 18, 2022, 10:20:15 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I was looking at recruiting a bit. Golding is going after athletic & aggressive kids. I believe he has a skill in picking the right kids up & developing a defender. So, I'm not gonna get into defense at this time.

Evans- 6'5" Wing. From what i heard, the kid shoots lights out. I dont know about his driving to the hoop skills, but The kid is here sitting this year soaking up Golding's style of play.
    Don Anjos- 6'6" from the vids I have seen, he is a slashing wing. He has an OK outside shot, but he likes to drive & create. Kennedy is also a driver, but doesn't do it enough. I like how this kid embraces contact & is just tough. All his vids he is wearing a knee brace, so I hope this doesn't bite us in the end.
    Bell 6'10" (offer only) thick bodied bruiser. The kid doesn't have a good vertical, but he rebounds & clears the paint. He is very good at positioning & footwork. He reminds me of Ced Lang, but a little more aggressive. I hope we get him.
    Bayela- 6'6" (offer only) JUCO slashing & shooting wing. Vids on this kid look fantastic, but each play shown is a different game. Most of the time I see vids it is about 4-6 plays of the same game. Does it mean he is only a 1 highlighter per game, I'm not sure. I will say this, the highlights look like this kid is Golding material. 
    What I have not seen yet is recruiting for a PG.
    Lots of time to fund one, though.

Lastly, I think it is safe to assume Boum, Kennedy, TD, & Agnew will be exploring Portal options. White, Bonke, Kalu might look for options as well.
    JB, Onyema, Sibley, & Saterfield may choose to stay & want to play with a chip as if to complete unfinished business.
    What ever the case may be in this Portal Era, Goldings job is harder, because he needs to recruit as if everyone is leaving.

Tough deal, but that is where we are at.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #197 on: March 19, 2022, 09:44:44 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I saw UTEP has offered Demari "Juice" Williams. He is a 6'6" 3☆ PG/SG that was at AZ St this year & didn't play in any games. Looking at vids he is an OK shooter that drives to the hole very well. He reminds me of Julyan Stone. Good handles, quick, & loves to drive & create opportunities. Stone was a better assist guy, buy this kid can score & will have 4yrs. I hope we get him. He would be JB's replacement.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #198 on: March 19, 2022, 07:05:00 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Listening to the post game show after the Miner win & they announced Derick Hamilton 6"10' 280lb JUCO committed to UTEP. I tried looking for vids & info search engines & I couldn't find anything. Anyone out there have anything?

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #199 on: March 19, 2022, 07:15:34 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • https://bpcc.prestosports.com/sports/mbkb/2020-21/bios/hamilton_derick_8lgn

Apparently a smart guy, as he's an Electrical Engineering major

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #200 on: March 19, 2022, 07:29:26 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Nice find, Sis.
    At least we have that bit of info, but I need to see some videos to see what kind of a project he is.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #201 on: March 19, 2022, 07:41:50 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I haven't had any luck there, but he did score 11 ppg, 5.6 rpg

https://www.njcaaregion14.com/sports/mbkb/2021-22/players/derickhamiltonru7n

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #202 on: March 19, 2022, 09:09:42 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • 280 lbs shouldn?t get pushed around in the paint

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #203 on: March 20, 2022, 12:15:41 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • It looks like we are playing Southern Utah. They are a guard strong team that shoots lights out. They also rebound well. Sounds like it's not a good match up.
    I would beg to differ.
    They don't play defense well, FT 60%, half of their points are off 3s, & they are turnover prone. They hit 12 3s against Kent St. That means Golding runs a strong perimeter D, look for steals, & don't be afraid to foul them.
    We are a longer team with about the same speed.
    Our length will be a problem for there shooting and Boum will be a big problem for them.

I just hope it pans out the way I wrote it.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #204 on: March 21, 2022, 11:56:00 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Anyone find video on Hamilton? Kind of weird in this day of videos & social media that there is no video on this big kid. The only player I can think of with same size is Big Ed at TCU. If he is anything like him, we will be hard to beat.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #205 on: March 21, 2022, 01:01:21 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Final Evaluation
    Derick Hamilton, of Baton Rouge (LA) Broadmoor High, is a 6'11 268lb 2019 prospect from our Fall 2018 NO camp. College coaches on camp staff identified Derick as having division 1 potential. Derick has a great wingspan that gives the player the potential to be a lock down defender and can be even more effective with active hands/feet. Additionally, the prospect appears to have very good size for position when used properly remains advantageous on both sides of the ball. The talented passer, distributes the ball well seeing the floor and anticipating when and where teammates will be open creating easy buckets. In terms of ball handling, it was one of the strongest aspects of the player's game. The player makes great use of change of speed and change of direction. The prospect's Basketball IQ definitely stood out at camp and proved to be really good. Through continued emphasis on making the right play through watching/learning the game, it can be a big advantage in recruiting. A big part of IQ is shot selection. Derick does an excellent job of shooting the basketball with rhythm and possesses high-level knowledge between good/bad shots. This advantage will continue to develop by watching how this is done at various college levels. Making the extra pass and taking only open in-rhythm shots proved to be a very reliable asset for the prospect. The prospect was able to consistently knock down shots during camp showing to be a reliable asset. Shooting will continue to develop with form shooting and made game speed repetitions. We recommend making at least 500 game speed shots a day off the screen(curl/fades), off the bounce, spot shooting, etc. The talent did a tremendous job of finishing around the rim through various moves. The prospect showed great ability with both hands and has the potential to finish on any defense. The talented player has very good athletic ability for size and age. ScoutsFocus would like to see continued development in speed/agility and vertical development. Jump rope drills are great full body conditioning drill we highly recommend if not ready for a rigorous weight-training program. We determined the prospect's strength to be one of their best qualities. The college game is an entirely different beast so continued strength development is crucial to prepare going against 23-24 year-olds. Combined with the player's great frame, the player will be ahead of schedule in terms of being physically ready to play at the next level. The talent showed a very good motor (highly coveted skill by college coaches) that remained mostly active on possessions and from what we saw, the player had a physical and mental toughness that will be coveted at the next level. The player showed a great understanding and effort on the defensive side of the ball and should continue to focus on individual and team defensive concepts emphasized at camp. Derick has division 1 potential with continued hard work and development both in the classroom and on the hardwood. Can play the 3. AAU Team: .
    video

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #206 on: March 21, 2022, 01:28:41 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Per the video I wasn't impressed with him. He just stands around a lot and doesn't seem to have a feel for the game. Even in the times that they showed him with the ball he doesn't pitch it as well as the article said he did. I also saw that the shorter guys were vying for the rebound while he waited in the wings. The only positive is that he's tall because I didn't even see how high he jumps if he does at all. He is definitely a very high development project and I don't know if even Midas can improve his play because in my mind he needs it.

I give him a D.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #207 on: March 21, 2022, 02:17:46 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Yikes. Not a good video of the kid. Luckily this was when he was 15.
    I'm curious to see what he has done in College. If he has Bonke Maring talent, then shame on Golding for not getting it right, again. IMO, I think he is just looking for a big defender. Someone to control the defensive paint. I also read he is a high IQ passer. If pass out & defend is what he does well, I love him.

Jury is out on this kid as of now. I do like the other recruits I am seeing. Lots of 6'6"-6'8" quick & shifty players. Very much like Ŧ, UAB, Houston, etc.
    I'd like to see some shooters get picked up. We have Saterfield that only showed glimpses & we have Evans that has yet to play a college game. Having scorers is good, but doesn't complete what a team needs to make noise in post play.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #208 on: March 21, 2022, 04:46:31 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • "...a 6'11 268lb 2019..."

He was just a kid in 2019.  You figure he is still growing and has topped 7 feet by now.  If he is coachable, Golding has 7 feet of what he wants.  Maybe even a replacement for TV.  Onyema is going to be a force to be reckoned with.  I hope he is here with us.  Kalu may be, too.  This kid may be the push needed for those two to take their place as the offensive force we have lacked on the front line.  Btw, are we assembling a very tall team?

I think Maring is the question.  He hasn't shown the growth in earning pt that I think Golding was looking for.  The Prices told me that coaches hope for about 50% return on juco's.  Half, get homesick, find the step up to be too tough, or other issues. 

The fact that Golding picked him means something to me.  I think he has very different ways of looking at players than Terry did.  He sees them as can he coach them and do they have the insane same desire and intensity that he has.  I do believe we got a teaching coach- a professor of basketball and not a recruiter as we had in CRT.  He will attract different kinds of players for different reasons.  I believe he will soon have, if not already, a steady que of players lined up wanting to play for the guy at UTEP.  He reminds me a bit of Billy Clyde.  If he works out like I think he will he will probably be here maybe three years.  The only thing that kind of might affect it is the damned realignment factors.
    « Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 07:09:43 PM by kyyote »

ATL-Miner

• 2019 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion 2020 Baskeball Official Prediction Thread Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #209 on: March 21, 2022, 08:38:21 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Here's some other juco players and transfers Golding is targeting.

https://krod.com/utep-basketball-dips-into-recruiting-waters-for-2022-23-season/