Author Topic: basketball  (Read 13358 times)

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Re: basketball
« Reply #165 on: February 21, 2022, 11:51:57 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Consider that we are almost certain to have a better final record than any Terry year, and already have a better conference record than any Terry year.  Without Bryson Williams. 

Where CJG fits in the overall history of UTEP coaches remains to be seen, but I like what I see so far.

I can only imagine how much better we could have been if Bryson had stayed. At least we would have had another rebounder. The scoring would have been a big plus. Too bad

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #166 on: February 21, 2022, 12:57:06 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • That is very true. But I watch almost all of the Big12 games and Tech might win a championship this year with him as their TV star player.  Since he is a UTEP grad rooting for him is a two for one deal. He almost always wears orange shouts when he plays and I think it is a tribute to UTEP.
    The ?ifs and butts? game is played, OU may be kicking themselves in the ass. Think how JB would have helped them this year.
    I am forcing myself to take more of a mercenary fan view of the team. Players are more like foster kids. You love them and care for them but they aren?t quite the same as your own. A UTEP degree makes them family for sure.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #167 on: February 21, 2022, 02:56:08 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I like Tech and I don't begrudge BW.  Personally I was just commenting that current coach is doing more without him than previous did with him and that tells me something about coaching skills.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #168 on: February 21, 2022, 03:42:28 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • That is a good point.  I was just kind of saying that there is going to be more and more of the moving of players. But the fact that CG has done better than Terry Minus BW is a strong point. I would say that Terry didn?t have a sharp shooting JB but that just adds to the strength of the point.  A win tonight will be big. Revenge wins against the ab and my would have me damned near jubilant.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #169 on: February 21, 2022, 04:47:05 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I also cheer on Ŧ for a few reasons.
    1) they have always done UTEP right in the past. Beard scheduling them in pre-season after that near championship run, to Bobby Knight wanting to come down. Very respectful organization.
    2) My son is a Soph at Ŧ & he is building some great memories. He got involved with a few school organizations & he feels like a valued student. Doesn't get better than that.

I never think twice if BW would have stayed. I think he made the right choice to prepare himself for the next level of competition. While I really like the defense our coach has brought to this program, Adams' is a master at it & BW is in good hands. Plus, BW loves El Paso. I bet you if BW wins a championship, he comes to EP to celebrate with his buds. I also think the smarter decision that he made was to separate himself from Rodney Terry. It was hard, but a good choice.

Lastly, I think we all agree that Golding is a much better coach than Terry & the last 4yrs of Floyd's career. Yes, it would be great to be on top his 1st year, but to see what this coach brings & has proven with results is really nice for me. For the 1st time in a while, I don't find myself deflated, because of another crappy year. I find myself surprised & longing for what Golding has in store for us next year.

Go Miners
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #170 on: February 21, 2022, 08:14:17 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Sorry for feeling this way but I'm like an elephant who never forgets. I don't hate players that abscond from UTEP but I do not hold them in high regard. I feel he did us wrong and for better or worst I won't be rooting for him. I'm like a scorned woman who was left at the altar.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #171 on: February 21, 2022, 10:30:05 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Not much to write about. Coaches & kids seemed tired. Boum was the only one with numbers. Everyone else seemed beat up. I only hope they are embarrassed & took this personal.
    I know the Miners have a week to prepare for UAB, but that program is a bit more advanced than ours at this time.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #172 on: February 22, 2022, 05:08:34 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I don't feel like it was at all fair what the league did here.  MTSU cancelled the first game.  They can come to our place at a time that's convenient for us.

Oh, and BTW, I hate CUSA officiating.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #173 on: February 22, 2022, 06:23:29 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • going back to the discussion of our record without BW, I should also point out that it has been without Kennedy for most of the season.  He had been our leading rebounder, best defender, and had found ways to contribute positively to the offense. 

You gotta like that Boum had 9 boards BTW.  Although TV shows no boards, a lot of the Boum boards were because TV had his man sealed off and rather than release to get the board himself, he maintained the blockout and let Boum get it.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #174 on: February 22, 2022, 09:09:11 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Our forwards played their forwards straight up. 
    UTEP                MT

FG
    6/13               5/11
    3pt
    0/2              3/5
    Reb
    12                  12
    pts
    16                  16

Guards were a different story.
    fgs
    13/39             21/42
    3ptr
    5/20                8/18
    reb
    12                    27
    pts
    44                    61

Our perimeter defense wasn't.  MT shot 11/23 47.8% from beyond the arc.  We shot 5/22 22.7%.  JB was held to seven points.  He was what is called locked down.  Credit MT's defense.  I am afraid that others will do the same.  Shut down JB or SB and we are down to one scorer.  Theoretically it would seem to me that if they took JB away there was openings inside that weren't exploited.  So, in a way, while our forwards held their own, they should have taken advantage of the effort spent shutting down JB.  Anyway, MT was he better team.  Not the end of the world.  We have three more very, very important games left in the season.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #175 on: February 22, 2022, 10:02:46 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]1
  • As has been commented by everyone, most of our guards are middling at best at defense.  Agnew pretty decent but you just cringe every time he gets the ball in his hands.  Kennedy on the bench.  The rest, sometimes decent, often just awful.  Give and go killed us.

Kennedy's injury was his foot?  Hope that doesn't make him a half step slow.  Be prepared for the possibility he doesn't help us much on this year and needs the offseason to get back his proper quickness.

Anyone keeping up with the recruiting?

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #176 on: February 26, 2022, 11:12:58 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]1
  • We lost. I think we all knew that was going to happen.
    Golding- did his best, but when players can't contribute, you can't win. Not Goldings fault. He needs help & I hope he has some bigs coming in.
    JB- Crappy night. 9pts & 0 rebs. There are nights that he looks like he belongs at a big program, then you have nights like tonight. Yikes
    Boum- Did his job as always. We might have been able to win if he hits free throws like normal, but we can't blame him for the loss.
    Saterfield- Kid hasn't had a good night for some time. Wake up, son.
    Agnew- Was a no show on O & couldn't defend. Just Ugh.
    Kennedy- Great to see him back. Was very rusty, but had 10pts. He'll come around.
    Hollins- only other player besides Boum that was worth a damn when it counted.
    Sibley- Still waiting for this kid to grow a pair. Was a No Show (AGAIN).
    Verho- Had 7rebs, bit was used as a rag doll. He needs help in the post.
    Onyema- 1 great dunk & 3rebs. That's all.

I'd balme everything on the kids, but UAB is just a bigger, faster, stronger, & more talented team. I like out chances with a healthy Kennedy.
    As always, it's not about regular season, but CUSA tournament.
    I'd have to say that the 1st Q & the 1st half of the 2nd were great. Then you have the minutes that count late in the game & everyone decided not to show. Ugh.

On to Rice.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #177 on: February 27, 2022, 06:20:46 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Kennedy's return was a lot better than I thought it would be.  I figured he would need more time to get his feet back under him.  We got outrebounded by 17! 

Basically I felt like the guys played well and just got beat by a better team.  Sometimes jump shots aren't falling for everyone, and we just get beat by anyone with a solid interior. 

I think if CJG can ever get us solid players at every position -- don't need stellar play, just solid -- we will be very tough to beat.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #178 on: February 27, 2022, 11:30:01 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Agreed. That was a good team. My eyes were on the 7' kid they had. Big, strong, athletic, & unstoppable in the paint when he had the ball. His defense wasn't very good, but that is the kind of kid we need, along with a driving wing.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #179 on: March 01, 2022, 02:02:55 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • A Booster buddy of mine at Ŧ said Williams got the biggest & Loudest standing O on Sr night.
    He is there best player this year. He will go to the NBA.
    In other news, I'm not sure if any of you watch NBA, but you need to YouTube Ja Morant with the Memphis Grizzlies. This kid is special.