Author Topic: If we win this next game  (Read 833 times)

Diablosisaminerfan

• Worm
    • View Profile
If we win this next game
« on: October 11, 2021, 11:31:41 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • There should absolutely be no excuse for our shitty attendance. Yes it is Covid-19, however we should have more than 20-25k for our next home imo. Or am I wrong to feel that way seeing how the times are..

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: If we win this next game
    « Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 02:16:34 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I have a wedding I need to be at on Saturday. Won't be able to make the game. I willake at least 1 this year.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Alaska Miner

• Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 02:16:54 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Absolutely! No excuse for the shitty attendance! This team deserves better.
    Trust me, no real sports fan is cowering under their bed from a virus with a greater than 99% survival rate.
    Let's go Brandon!

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 03:48:29 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Have you seen the crowds on tv at the ATM game, how about the BYwho game, another superspreader affair (as the Demons like to call it) at the numerous Power 5 games on tv? It's a bunch of hooey, your immunity is stronger than the money making drugs Big Pharma is trying to force us to take. But, that's politics but you probably get my drift.

So, what I am trying to show you is that there's no excuse for our poor attendance other than people don't want to go. I wish I could but I can't, (for reals).

Diablosisaminerfan

• Worm
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 12:45:13 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Obviously if you have previous commitments then yes we can't expect to be there however, we need the fans to show up if they can.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: October 12, 2021, 04:07:07 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I would love to see 40k+ fans at Miner football games again. ***sob*** makes me want to cry.  :'(

;D

Austintacious

• The Den's Official Prediction Thread Wizzard 2015 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
    • Patience Jackass Patience
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: October 13, 2021, 04:53:23 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I was talking to Jahmal Fenner who as part of the 2000 team is going to be inducted into the Miner Hall of Fame this weekend.  His first comment, after discussing the Miner's record so far, was "I hope they start to fill up the stadium." 

BTW, his LBJ Jaguars are ranked #1 in 4A.  The team has a 6-0 record. 
    « Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 05:45:52 AM by Austintacious »

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: October 13, 2021, 07:16:58 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • If we win this game I will believe we are somewhat good, rather than just not sucky.  This is our first real test of a team that appears to be respectable, but not dominatingly better than us.  On paper, I think the current line is about right -- La Tech by 7 in our stadium.  I haven't given an official prediction yet because I'm still trying to decide how I feel about our chances of slowing down their passing attack.

My gut says that right now we are the 4th best team in CUSA west, which is probably the better division this year.  I would be happy to find out we are better.  There's a couple intangibles that are amazingly enough in our favor.  The team has found ways to overcome adversity -- something that not even most Price teams were able to do.  Also, the D believes in itself and I think the O is beginning to believe in the D.  That loosens up the O and oddly enables them to play better.

Searching back through your memories, are there any historical UTEP football teams that could fight back and overcome adversity like this one? 1988?  2004? I think both those teams would crush and humiliate this team, but just talking about heart.

Minermojo

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: October 13, 2021, 02:56:23 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The only teams that I remember are the Billy Stevens teams of the 60s when they beat TCU and I can't remember who else but those teams NEVER gave up. I believe that's where the nickname the Flying Miners was adopted. Many from those teams went to the NFL and did very good there as well. Boy, they were exciting to watch the TCU game stayed in my mind the most.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: October 13, 2021, 03:21:14 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Dang, you are an old timer Miner fan my friend.  I was born in 1970...

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: October 14, 2021, 08:41:15 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I feel like this game is taking on some importance.  In the abstract, losing to a pretty decent team when you're 5-1 isn't that big a deal.

However, a win here makes us bowl eligible, and might be a significant inflection point in the team psyche.  Also, a win could be a turning point in terms of fan support.  All of a sudden we are 6-1, bowl eligible, beat a decent team, etc.  At that point I would feel pretty good about picking up wins vs UNT and Rice and ending up 8-4.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: October 14, 2021, 09:28:33 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • To look at it a bit different, we currently have as many losses as Alabama. That is about all we share with Saben's team.
    Sisy, is right. The Psychi of this Miner team would jump through the roof if they win this game.
    Once this happens, I would have to say we are back. I'll even go as far to say that I will go to the Bowl Game if we can hit 8 wins. It will also mean that Dimel did what he said he would do. Let's face it, he took over the worst D1 team in the country & turned them in 3yrs. I say 3, because 2020 was a horrible year since they couldn't play at home most of the time. It threw a monkey wrench in the teams system and we can't hold it against them.
    For 8 wins to happen, a few things need to take place. (In this order)
    1) QB needs to step up the quality of passing.
    2) D backs need to be more effective.
    3) Receivers other than Cowing must run better routes & catch these passes.
    4) Special teams need to take control. (Kick off past the end zone, punts to the side lines, etc)
    These are things that are fixable right now. I have no doubt they are working in these things but again, it comes down to confidence. Wins bring that.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Minermojo

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: October 14, 2021, 12:09:51 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Dang, you are an old timer Miner fan my friend.  I was born in 1970...

Yep, old and wise...some call it Wise ass. A little of both. My oldest son was born in 1971 and my youngest in 1976 so I can relate with you. At that age young'ens think that they know it all but I've got 23 years more experience than the oldest. Like a dad, sometimes I get on their nerves...you know like in the commercial where the guy says he's like his father now. They'd be wise to be like us old timers, ain't that true, Ky?

There's an old Mexican saying that goes, "por donde tu vas, yo ya llegue." Translation: "Where you're going I've arrived already."

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: October 14, 2021, 12:52:31 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • We learn from our mistakes, not our successes.
    Therefore, wisdom comes from making mistakes. 
    Ergo, being fools may have given us considerable wisdom.
    I know that I have a butt load of wisdom in many areas that people who weren't fools don't have.

Also, I used to tell my students who had done something dumb(to lighten the load a little).  There are three kinds of people in the world.  One kind walk into low doorways and hit their heads and back up, lower their heads and try again.  Then there are those who run into the door, back up and do it again, don't duck and run their heads into the door again, and the third kind watches the first two and ducks when he gets to the door.  Now, we know you aren't in the last group, so it is just a matter of seeing which of the first two groups you belong in.  Learn to duck.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: October 14, 2021, 02:58:20 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Damn. KY getting deep.