Author Topic: Colominer Takes the Boise OPT Win  (Read 721 times)

Austintacious

• The Den's Official Prediction Thread Wizzard 2015 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
  • Sourdough
  • Patience Jackass Patience
    • View Profile
Colominer Takes the Boise OPT Win
« on: September 11, 2021, 04:23:25 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • UTEP 13 - 54 Boise

NEXT GAME:  UNM @ UTEP, 9/29, Saturday, 7 pm MT
    TV: ESPN NETWORKS    RADIO: KLAQ 95.5 FM

UTEP   OPP   ********      Differential
    17      52   Colominer               6
    15      45   Diablosisaminerfan   11
    16      42   liebestraum            15

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: Colominer Takes the Boise OPT Win
    « Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 11:37:38 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Doh, I wasn't even close. I was giving UTEP the benefit of the doubt by giving them 35 points and they couldn't even generate 20. I still think Bossy gave UTEP a break by not running up the score on them because if they wanted to they could have. When it takes less than a minute to score a TD because your secondary sucks raw eggs you know they were being kind.

Oh well, we kinda expected it so now on to the next game against Lobos. I think they may be even worst then us so when I post my score I'll be putting UTEP on top, not to forget that it's on our home turf...if that was ever even a plus, LOL.

Diablosisaminerfan

• Worm
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: September 11, 2021, 05:03:02 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • BREAKING NEWS!!! My assumption that it is best to asume that our defense sucks was proven correct. This sucks, will we ever have a decent team? At least middle of the pack? Prob not at the rate conferences poach off schools. We will end up having to make the choice of dropping to div 2 or just I dunno..

What is sad is if UTEP ever maintains a middle of the pack team we'd probably lead cusa in attendance.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 11, 2021, 08:46:14 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • That's a win for the elpaso community for utept to wind up in the middle. It's all we can expect...sigh. We suck because we cheer mediocrity. It's like giving "participation trophies" to the team.

Colominer

• 2014 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 12, 2021, 06:23:03 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I apologize for picking this one correctly.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 12, 2021, 10:38:40 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I am going to put this in writing. I think this team is head and shoulders better that it has been.  We are going to do much better in cusa. The running the kickoffs out of the end zone was a bad decision both times and they lead to perhaps questionable play calls and the entire game unraveled quickly against the excellent team that Boise is. Until then, we looked strong enough to have shocked Boise. I believe we will win some games. I think we will beat New Mexico.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: September 13, 2021, 05:10:45 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I agree with this.  UNM, ODU,  Rice, and La Tech are "should win" games.

FAU and So Miss are "could win" games.

This based on personnel.  But DD has to get his head out of his butt inside the red zone.  He called a nice mix of plays to get us to the red zone then went stupid every time.
    And once again we get shut out in the 2nd half because we don't make adjustments.

He is the CRT of UTEP football.  There will be games we should win but won't due to his awful game management and play calling, plus our utter lack of discipline.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: September 13, 2021, 09:39:09 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Followup to boost my post count  ;)

Given how favorable the schedule is and how bad many of our opponents look, anything less than 6 wins should result in significant changes.  I do think we are much improved from a talent perspective, but I am concerned about QB, special teams, and secondary.  How do we get to year 4 and have one of the worst secondaries in football, and only 1 acceptable QB?

IMO, conditions for continuing the Dimel experiment are 6 wins and relinquishing play calling duties.  I would fire the special teams coach (yes I know who he is, and the only position he has ever shown capacity for is QB coach).

One more question:  I tend to think the lack of discipline is a coaching issue, but I am willing to entertain the idea that this is just a characteristic of still having so many inferior athletes on the team?

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: September 13, 2021, 11:19:31 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I agree with this.  UNM, ODU,  Rice, and La Tech are "should win" games.

FAU and So Miss are "could win" games.

This based on personnel.  But DD has to get his head out of his butt inside the red zone.  He called a nice mix of plays to get us to the red zone then went stupid every time.
    And once again we get shut out in the 2nd half because we don't make adjustments.

He is the CRT of UTEP football.  There will be games we should win but won't due to his awful game management and play calling, plus our utter lack of discipline.

I almost throw out everything that happened after the runs out of the end zone. Before that we were in the fight with a punchers chance and after that we were the punk drunk who told Mike Tyson that his momma has a starring role in a Juarez show. Even pity comes slowly.
    So, the team that was moving the ball at will both running and passing against playing umm instead of Boise is how I choose to look at things.  Having said that I am a little bit more willing to give dimel some slack.  I know we lost points on the first two tries and the play calling was to pound it in. I give Boise some credit for bowing up and dimel some slack for continuing the psychological warfare of us bullying their defense. Even with them holding us we were saying that we were going to break their ass down. And the way things had been going up until then that was very reasonable. Like  Mike Tyson said everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. We were like Joe Frazier against Big George. The same plan against umm and I think we pound out a win IF we don?t take three or four haymakers that have us stepping in post holes.
    I don?t think we could beat LA Tech unless our guys carried guns. I do wish we had better options at qb  but for the past ten years would you come to play an here?  For handoffs until the hole was so deep the qbs were endangered. Finally someone found out that you can throw the football foreword more than five yards. Like some teams actually do quite a lot these days(cough cough Boise) and it can be quite effective in putting points on the scoreboard.
    « Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 12:03:23 PM by kyyote »

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: September 13, 2021, 01:06:50 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The QB thing is really puzzling to me.  You'd think we could have found a running QB then.  But we don't really have one of those either.  Brownholz isn't a great runner, just better than Hardison.  Obviously we thought the kid that left could be that guy, but you can't tell me that you can't find QBs all over TX alone that can run fast and pass every once and a while.

We have a passing QB with a gun but no touch who can't run.  And a running QB that is only marginal at that and can't throw.  And we've had 4 years to find a QB that fits Dimel's system and as far as I've heard, we don't even have one in the wings. 

I don't mind that Hardison is as good as we could get that has had enough time to mature and learn the system.  But who's next?  If he gets hurt, it's Brownholz running the ball every down.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: September 13, 2021, 05:22:22 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • First off, congratulations to Colo.
    To dig deeper in the QB discussion, I think our QB is just OK, as I have eluded to in the past. Think about it this way, our QB has the best secondary to practice against that UTEP has to offer. That is saying a lot since our secondary is the worst piece to our football dynamic. He probably looks like a stud in practice, but looks terrible against OK opposition. That being said, he is still OK, especially since we have really good backs that keep other secondaries humble.
    Don't get me started on play calling in the Red Zone.
    I have a feeling we will do OK against conference teams. If we don't, Dimel needs to be gone. Hire someone like Eddie George or Deon Sanders. Those kind of guys are too young to fail & can bring some talent we didn't expect, because of NFL ties.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.