kyyote

• Administrator
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Re: Game
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2018, 12:11:10 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • How in the fuck is it that a head coach who was an NFL Offensive Line Coach, who is so fucking hard headed that he runs the ball every fucking play for years and it doesn't work BUT he is building the line leave and we have no offensive line!!???  How does that even happen unless the guy was trying to undermine the program and even then it would be hard.  BUT, at UTEP we make the impossible happen!  The article says the freshman should be  a bright light in years to come.  I just want to kick someone in the nuts for that shit!  WTF!  The center has never played center!   WTF!!  Nothing makes any sense!   Jerrod Brooks played his usual solid game.  If I remember right, he was a Mike Price recruit!  So after years of idiotic, stupid football because we were building an offensive line, NO, A PROGRAM built around the power running behind and powerful offensive line, we have no line.  Not good line because the great one left.  Not an ok line because we are rebuilding.  Nope!  We can't seem to even find enough guys to play kind of we don't have an offensive line.  Seriously, how is that even possible?  They tell me it is because Kugler left the cupboard bare.  Surely, he was getting players with his scholarship allocations.  Who are they?  Where are they?  No one noticed?  Seriously.  That just doesn't make any sense.  How it could get to this point doesn't make any sense.  But, it seems to me that it was a surprise to our new coaches!  Didn't they notice the empty shelves?  Or, they did and did nothing about it?  There was nothing they could do about it?  I am sorry, I know I am not supposed to be bitching, but I admit that all of this just leaves me shaking my head in amazement that somehow, someway, beyond anything that makes any sense, we find a way to do what we do!  Like we find ways to fuck shit up BETTER AND MORE OFTEN AND EFFECTIVELY than if we were actually trying to fuck shit up!  I mean we are the team with the guy who runs the wrong way for a touchdown.  Our guy would find a way to run into a referee to knock himself down in the end zone for a safety, with an unsportsmanlike conduct call thrown in for good measure. 

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: September 03, 2018, 07:55:55 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  •  I would say that rant is now the gold standard for UTEP football.  Senter should have to read this aloud every day to himself and Dimel.  When we have a new president, he or she should read it aloud to both of them every day until we no longer suck or we fire them.  We would seriously be better off taking the 3A HS championship team intact and fielding them as true freshmen.

Dawgma

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: September 04, 2018, 07:41:58 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I read that both Darren Gatewood and Greg Long were hurt.  Both starting linemen.  Don't know if they got hurt in the game or prior.  Two freshmen took their place.

EMA884

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: September 04, 2018, 08:42:41 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • In my opinion the current problem with this team, as some of you guys have already mentioned, lies in the quality of players that make up this roster.  The team consists of many guys who frankly have no business playing division I NCAA football.  Kugler and his staff truly picked up players from the bottom of the recruiting barrel, lots of which are from El Paso.  Now I am an El Paso native and I love the idea of having home-grown players playing ball for the Miners, but the reality is that the talent coming out of the Sun City is not up to standard.  I asked a recent former player from UTEP's football team (who himself graduated from an El Paso high school) how many players he thought were division I quality players that graduate each year from El Paso.  His answer, maybe 4 to 7 across the entire city.  How many are on this roster?  Obviously, this is only a small part of the overall much larger problem.

When you go to the games, watch the players warm-up for both UTEP and the opposing team that they may be playing.  You do not have to be a scout to see the difference in quality from our guys to theirs, no matter really who they are playing.  Northern Arizona, for instance, has some pretty damn good football players on their team, from the quarterback, wide receiver, running back, punt returner, both offensive and defensive lines, etc.  Now Ky, I am not making the lousy excuse other people are making that Northern Arizona is a "pretty good team so let's not feel too bad about our guys."  No, what I am saying is teams like Northern Arizona have recruited and developed players who are quality, division I NCAA athletes.  Our roster seriously resembles that of, for really lack of a better description, a high school team made up of fifth year seniors if there ever were some.  There is not a lot of speed, there is not a lot of size, I personally do not see tons of athleticism, they are not exactly physical at the point of attack, and there is not heaps of skill among every position.  I am sorry to say but our players do not currently meet a standard that is competitive with other NCAA football programs, and that is the result of very poor recruiting.

Hope is not lost however.  I do believe this coaching staff is superior to the previous group.  I do think they will be able to improve the program with better recruits and transfers, which they have already shown.  It is going to take time to develop and nurture this project, but it's going to require lots of sweat and grit and a commitment to constant improvement.  The sloppy penalties and poor assignments on Saturday night though, needs to be cleaned up NOW.  No excuse for that nonsense.  But I am hoping, as the rest of you, that the team will pull through and begin to trend upwards. 
    « Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 09:00:20 AM by EMA884 »

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: September 04, 2018, 11:28:25 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  •  I do believe this coaching staff is superior to the previous group. (quote from EMA)

After a 0-12 season I think Americas coaching staff is superior to last year which isn't saying much. I'm hopeful that after we go through another no win season that at least some of the players that are D1 quality can learn something or a lot. But...that's us Miner fans...we hope and that's all we got.

utep2step

• Worm
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: September 07, 2018, 09:16:50 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • How in the fuck is it that a head coach who was an NFL Offensive Line Coach, who is so fucking hard headed that he runs the ball every fucking play for years and it doesn't work BUT he is building the line leave and we have no offensive line!!???  How does that even happen unless the guy was trying to undermine the program and even then it would be hard.  BUT, at UTEP we make the impossible happen!  The article says the freshman should be  a bright light in years to come.  I just want to kick someone in the nuts for that shit!  WTF!  The center has never played center!   WTF!!  Nothing makes any sense!   Jerrod Brooks played his usual solid game.  If I remember right, he was a Mike Price recruit!  So after years of idiotic, stupid football because we were building an offensive line, NO, A PROGRAM built around the power running behind and powerful offensive line, we have no line.  Not good line because the great one left.  Not an ok line because we are rebuilding.  Nope!  We can't seem to even find enough guys to play kind of we don't have an offensive line.  Seriously, how is that even possible?  They tell me it is because Kugler left the cupboard bare.  Surely, he was getting players with his scholarship allocations.  Who are they?  Where are they?  No one noticed?  Seriously.  That just doesn't make any sense.  How it could get to this point doesn't make any sense.  But, it seems to me that it was a surprise to our new coaches!  Didn't they notice the empty shelves?  Or, they did and did nothing about it?  There was nothing they could do about it?  I am sorry, I know I am not supposed to be bitching, but I admit that all of this just leaves me shaking my head in amazement that somehow, someway, beyond anything that makes any sense, we find a way to do what we do!  Like we find ways to fuck shit up BETTER AND MORE OFTEN AND EFFECTIVELY than if we were actually trying to fuck shit up!  I mean we are the team with the guy who runs the wrong way for a touchdown.  Our guy would find a way to run into a referee to knock himself down in the end zone for a safety, with an unsportsmanlike conduct call thrown in for good measure.

Brooks was one of Kugler 's early recruits in 2014. As per online source, it appears Locksley has pretty much solidified his #1 role. I have a gut feeling the Metz days are done. He may light it up during camp (he always lit it up during spring and fall camp during his time here) but he looked uncomfortable during the NAU game.

Dawn can flat out ball with anyone. He looked good during Kug era and put in solid performance against NAU. He can play the slot really well. Get this kid the ball!

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: September 08, 2018, 08:29:39 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Once again, our defense is a sour point.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

EMA884

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: September 08, 2018, 09:07:10 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Our passing game is just awful. Locksley can run but has trouble moving the ball through the air. Metz on the other hand has no escapability and makes terrible decisions when throwing. Running game has been respectable.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: September 08, 2018, 10:44:41 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I am hoping for a bid to the GE College Bowl, this year.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: September 09, 2018, 10:45:09 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The bright spot was Wadley. He had Jones like numbers running the ball. His only mistake was not running to the end zone at an angle and faster D backs would catch him. Jones would take an angle when he felt a kid catching him. Also, our backs (excluding Dimel) can not block.
    Other than Wadley our QB play, especially from Metz, was not there. Our O-line was better, our whole defense just sucks. Our D-line is massive, but can't make plays or tackle. Our linebackers can't cover or tackle & our D-backs need help. Beverly is supposed to be our best back, but he got burned all night.
    Tennessee is not only going to hand us our asses, but there 2nd & 3rd strings will be playing the 2nd half of the game. They will be our 1st view of how a real defense can dominate.
    Even though I am naming kids, I blame coaching still. Having that many flags is a result of the coaches. Technique is something the Miners don't have.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #25 on: September 15, 2018, 10:32:27 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Miners defense came to play!  Nothing can take that away.  For the first quarter, the Miners are playing football versus Tennessee.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: September 15, 2018, 12:12:38 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Second half: Lockley overthrows his man and almost gets intercepted. Next, he has an open man and under throws his man. If coach is too dumb to realize that this joker is not D1 material then there's nothing that anyone can say to make him see it. Locks sucks in two words.   >:(