Author Topic: What Can Be Learned From A 56-7 Loss  (Read 893 times)

kyyote

• Administrator
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
What Can Be Learned From A 56-7 Loss
« on: September 04, 2017, 08:28:21 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Everyone, knew there was no chance of UTEP winning the game.  Even Head Coach Kugler seemed resigned to it.  But, he said they would "compete".  Not trying to be a smartass, but I could have put a team of sixth graders on the field that would have tried.  Part of the trouble with Kugler's offense is that it has no explosiveness.  It isn't designed to be explosive.  It is meant to be boring.  No surprises, just run the damned ball up the middle.  Three or four yards a run.  Run the clock out.  It is why I quit going to games.  It is boring, has just about no possible way to come back from a deficit, and not good enough at it to win.  Winning is always good, even when you can take a nap during the game and wake up to a winning score, but Kugler's offense is finally the boring, watching paint dry offense that the wave starting and loving soccer fans have waited for.  You don't have to actually watch the plays as they are all alike.  You can concentrate on waiting and watching for the wave to get to you so that you can stand up and sit down again.  Some fun, a UTEP football game.  Pay no attention to the score, either.

Well, that's how I felt before the OU game.  I wanted to see if there was anything different in this game.  Since insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results, I was looking to see if it would be crazy to hope for better things from the football team.  There was a slight hope that I might see Kugler attempt to stretch the field.  Maybe he did.  A little.  But, they were playing OU.  And they were quickly down by points piling up on them, and rushing the football with the power football Kugler game was hitting a brick wall.  One thing I learned is that our biggest asset, what Kugler has focused on, our offensive line was not able to handle the OU defensive line.  If anyone is surprised by this, well...they probably don't know Bo, or much of anything else about football.  Maybe, just maybe, the one thing I did see is the line was able to give Metz a little time.  Perhaps it is better for me to say that Metz wasn't running for his life every time he dropped back to pass.  Against OU.  The thing is, against C-USA teams, Kugler may just revert to his running the ball every play.  Expect different and you may be in the market for a new straightjacket.

But, the key to UTEP football success is the defense.  Can it stop anyone.  Well, 56 points is a definite "Maybe".  Anyone want to bet on how many other teams have 50+ points dropped on them by OU this season?  Anyone want to bet that none of the other teams OU plays this season have to worry about that?  So, we have to ask ourselves about the defense and improvement or lack thereof with the understanding that looking at the points given up is a bad way to start.  We have to ask questions about pressure and not how many sacks the defense got.  We have to look at how many passes were short passes that became long touchdowns.  We have to look at things like were we embarrassed the same way as we always are when we play any decent team.  We have to look at how many runs for three yards that turned into sixty yard touchdown runs.
    Here's a glimpse at what it is like to be a UTEP football fan.  Although the score was 56 to 7 this was a pretty good game.  Let that sink in for a minute.  That is UTEP football.  Complete domination, BUT NOT COMPLETE HUMILIATION!  Ninety percent of the people out there would find a 49 point loss to be pretty humiliating, but a UTEP fan has seen so many of those that we don't look at scores anymore.  We look at we weren't made to be the Washington Capitals.  The team didn't look like they made the trip in a clown car.  We just got beat.  Badly, sure.  But, it was OU AND the team didn't just look embarrassing.  That's how we roll at UTEP.  We see positives in 49 point drubbings.

That's what I learned from Saturday's loss.  It wasn't a knee slapper.  The OU fans left the stadium smiling, but they weren't yucking it up.  And that, my friends, is improvement.  It is hard to say just how much improvement not being a joke is.  It is hard to put numbers on it.  It is more like it means that there is a candle's light somewhere out in the darkness of the wilderness. It is distant and doesn't illuminate a path or anything like that.  No, it is a pinprick of light somewhere out there in the darkness, glimmering.  It is a glimmer of hope for us to look to.  Or it could be a firefly.  We may know which after getting a chance to try on another team on our level of horribleness, the Rice Owls next time.  Should be a real cat fight!  Lots of noise, sounds of fury, paws flying, and no harm done.  Like watching a couple of sixth grade girls fighting. Paraphrasing Kugler, our girl will be kickin', scratchin, and hair pullin' as hard as that girl from Rice.  I am betting on our girl.  She ends up on top when the teacher comes to separate them and time runs out.  Miners 31 to the Owl's 28 when time runs out.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: What Can Be Learned From A 56-7 Loss
    « Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 09:03:31 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Agree to disagree.

The 1st 10 minutes of the game, I would agree with you, but the rest of the game was brutal to watch. Let's start with defense. Why in the Hell did we play zone against a QB who picks teams apart with his accuracy and the O-lines ability to hold any defense. It just didn't make sense at all. Thank God for our secondary tackling, because OU would have had another 150 yards for the day. Too many times did I see missed tackles from the D-line. Even our top tackler in Jones got frustrated and took a cheap shot at the OU QB. I can keep going on, but this defense subject is a broken record year after year.

Now for offense. While Kuglar spread the ball more than he ever has in a game, we didn't have any receivers who stepped up. The route running and catching was inferior. The QB play was OK. Metz and Greenlee played very safe, which is good. Only, we needed QB play to sell plays better and to be more accurate with throws.

That being said, we didn't have any major injuries, we saw we have some pretty good running backs, we have an O-line that can compete with anyone, and we have a punter who looks fantastic. While our defense just got beat down, I think it is still talented enough to compete in an inferior conference. I totally expect the Miners to recover and put a beat down on Rice.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

liebestraum

• 2017 Preseason Prediction Pick Challenge Champion
    • Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 09:16:21 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Wait, the defense was on the actual field?  For the game?  Well my flabber is gasted.

But we did get, what, a bezillion dollars for the beat down, correct?  Yeah, that's how UTEP rolls.

lieb

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 05:28:06 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Ryan Metz not only didn't suffer death, concussed brain, nor broken bones.  Not only that, he passed 27 times, completing 15 of them and was NOT intercepted once.  He was sacked the same number of times as OU's Mayfield, once.  Against OU!  He lives to talk about it and actually did more than survive.  Yep, the passes were short.  Too short, but I did see some long ones.

What do you do when you can't cover man to man?  You go to a zone.  Any questions?  There is a reason they didn't just light us up worse than they did.  Nope, this time it was Kugler's rushing offense that was unable to impose its will after the first drive.  The second possession was the attempted passes possession to show he is balanced. ;)  UTEP, and Kugler lost the time of possession battle.  Had the Miners been able to run, enough to keep drives alive, they would not have scored as much and we would have scored more.  Take two touchdowns away from OU and add two to UTEP and the score ends up being 42 to 21.   Nothing shameful in that score against OU.

UTEP's rushing offense accounted for a measly 73 net yards.  This is what Kugler has built here.  Now, I am not ragging on his offensive philosophy at all.  I don't like it, but if he was winning with it, I would like the wins.  Nope, I'm saying that if you are all about offensive lines.  You build them, you coach them, you are one, you love the offensive line.  It is what the world revolves around in your universe and you can get 100 yards?  Now, get ready for some mind blowing stats.  OU kept Houston, Louisiana Monroe, TCU, and Kansas to less than 100 yards last year.  Of course, Houston ran up 321 yards in the air, LA< Monroe, 271, TCU 429, and poor old Kansas just 125.  So passing teams could mount a passing attack against OU when the run shut down.  Not UTEP.  And UTEP is a running attack school.  Bullies.  The bullies were treated like middle school girls.  Nobody got hurt, but...

Like I said, everybody and his brother who came out of the stands and suited up got to get their first score of their career against us, but none of our players was hurt by one of our other players, none of our players looked like the should have been in a polka dotted suit, giant floppy shoes, and a red rubber nose.  We looked way overmatched.  But, like Kugler said, the would, they competed.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 04:50:59 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Lets suppose this is all part of a master plan.  If you were rebuilding a program from scratch you might very well start on the lines.  I would.  You don't have personnel to execute anything complicated so you take it down to basics.

Now several years in you have an O line that can protect vs anybody.  You have a D line that is at least acceptable. You have a secondary that is at least acceptable.  (As noted, OU will drop 50+ on more opponents than just us.)

You have a strong running game, and a respectable QB.  What next?  Add some speedy tall wide receivers, add wrinkles to the offense, and what have you got?  A program that can win.  Not just this year, but year after year.

Will Kug add those offensive elements next year?  Who knows, but if he does we may be singing his praises for a long time.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 10:05:52 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • This is a good subject. I'm assuming the title is formatted as a question. The answer is simply, not much.
    We played a superior team on Saturday and that same team looks to not be favored against Ohio St next Saturday. That 7.5 spread is changing day to day in the favor of Oklahoma. Oklahoma made less mistakes against the Miners than Ohio State did against Indiana. Don't be surprised if OK wins it in Columbus.

Let's talk about our opponent before we get into the Miners. Rice looked absolutely worse against Stanford than the Miners did against OK. Stanford is ranked 14 while OK is ranked 7. On paper, we look to be the better team. Then there is the book in Las Vegas that started the Miner v Owls game in favor of Rice by 3 points. Just this morning it looks to be at 1 point. Is Las Vegas on to something? Well, I would bet on it. As a matter of a fact, they are betting on it as well and when all is said and done, the Miners may be favored at home.

We learned only a little because we played against a team that looks to be the best in their conference and probably a top 5 team in the country. You can't accurately measure what the Miners can do against CUSA opponents looking at that game. However, there are some bright spots and some dark spots that jumped out of the page and that is as good as any place to start.

Lets start with the dark spots. Tackling, D-line, receiving core, and overall defense. Receiving core dropped critical balls and in my opinion are not selling the routes they are running. Not very well, anyway. These kids do have talent and need to step up and play hard EVERY down and not just when the ball is coming to them. Let's talk about that defense. I stopped counting missed tackles after 8 in the 1st half. For a stretch, the D-line looked like they couldn't stop a dime even if it stopped on a dime. This is tough to judge only because 3 linemen from OU are All Americans. Yes, that is 3 Will Hernandez's with one of them being 6'8" and 340lbs. We will never see that talented of a line the rest of the season. Thank God. When the D-line looks bad, the Linebackers are exposed and they couldn't do their job effectively. The secondary well called upon to make a lot of tackles and they did OK. OU did a lot of short routes which is perfect against a team playing zone. I feel Mason should have taken a few chances and gone man to test the corners.

Now for the bright spots. NO INJURIES, a good O-line, a good running game, a QB that makes good decisions, and a punter we have been waiting for. We have a few kids that are sore, but nothing to keep them from playing against Rice. Our O-line protected the pass well and made holes when the box was not stacked. Dawn and Dove ran hard and it was great to see that combo work. Having a back like Jones looked like it pushed these kids to perform. That 1st drive of runs against OU looked fantastic and I would expect more of that against teams in an inferior conference. How about that punter? The 1st punt was a Rugby kick, but then we saw some kick as hang time after that. That is going to help a ton with better field position and open up opportunities for fakes. Kuglar is not known for fakes, but with a punter like that, it would be stupid not to look into it.

Last, there is one bright and dark spot. The dark is Jones will be out the 1st half of that Rice game for targeting the OU QB. It was obvious the kid was frustrated and I don't think we will see that again. Jones coming in the second half is going to frustrate Rice. The bright spot was the offensive play calling. We saw throws when we didn't expect it mixed in with the runs. This was more of an even spread offensive game than we have ever seen with Kuglar at the helm. This is a very pro style offense and I like it.

So, with the little bit that we can take from this past game, while I am optimistic with this teams potential, I am not going to kid myself into thinking things will be fine. I did that last year knowing we had a good O-line and the best back in the state of Texas and top 10 in the country. It got us nothing. I am loyal, but chose to reserve my optimism after this team proves it to you and I. If we can get 3 wins in the 1st 6 games, I'll take the reserve off. That looks like a tough feat, because we have already lost one, NMSU has come out of there shell, Army & AZ are really strong, and Western Kentucky is competing to be the best team in CUSA.
    I picked the Miners to win based on being at home and because we are healthy.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.