Author Topic: So How Competitive Will This Coming Men's Basketball Team Be In C-USA?  (Read 896 times)

Proud El Pasoan

• Mole
    • View Profile
So How Competitive Will This Season's Men's Basketball Team Be in C-USA? Will they be in top half of C-USA to possibly win it this season?

This past season started off slow before the team became competitive in the second half of the season. But is this the season that Tim Floyd will bring some surprises? Do we have any shot at all to possibly win the conference this coming season?

zyxwvutsru

• Explosives Supervisor
  • I walk the line between chaos and the man.
    • View Profile
eh, we will win 18-22 games... finish top 4 in conference, and lose in the semi-finals of the CUSA tourney.

Chanson

• 2017-17 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion
  • Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
I believe they have a legit shot in winning it. I'm not saying we will, but we have a good shot. CTF and the team learned their lesson last year and will not have a horrible start. That was just too embarrassing to repeat. Middle Tennessee lost their top guys as well as UAB. The big contender would be Western Kentucky while Rice or Marshall will be the sleepers. I think the top 5 will be Old Dominion, Middle, Western, UAB, & UTEP.

I we have a legit shot, because the timing is right. I thought the same thing during Vince Hunters Soph year, but having no back court proved to be our downfall.
Willms will be ready and in shape with Jones ready to clear the paint. Then we have Thomas who just blossomed into something special with his rebounding and his beautiful jumper. That will be the best front court in CUSA. Then we have a deep back court to follow that up. I don't think they will be the most talented, but being deep goes a long way. The SF will rotate among Flaggert, Williams, & Wade. These kids scream scoring. Then we have both the SG & PG with Touchet, Omega, Osborne, Gilyard, & McGee. These kids are great ball handlers and have speed. Smith & St. Pierre will be the big men in training and I don't know what to expect from them except foul prone and slow. We have 3 Sr's leading the way and that is very healthy for a good season. My one concern would be perimeter defense. We picked that up towards the 2nd half of the season last year, but with a lot of new faces, I expect lots of mistakes the 1st half. I just hope these new kids step up the 2nd half.

We very well might have 2 CUSA teams go into the dance as well. The last 3 years, CUSA has stepped up to the plate and has impressed the NCAA voting board during the tournament. If a team like Middle or WK have a good season, but a team like UTEP or UAB win the CUSA tournament, then I can see 2 teams moving in.
What I will stick with is that, because we look good on paper, we should make the NCAA tourney. I want Floyd gone if we don't. I said the same thing last year, but with Winn being a little bitch, it made our front court weak for a time. CTF worked through that dark period well.

Go Miners

Minermojo

• 2014 AND 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football
  • Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
I think it all depends on who the point guard(s) will be. Artis did a good job last year and will be sorely missed. If we can muster a PG then we'll have a good season perhaps carry the tempo from last year at the end of the season.

I'm hoping that Touchet get's his shooting in gear but so far he was mediocre in that department last year. I'm hoping he matures like Chis Craig did his senior year when he was moved from PG to SG. In his junior year my neighbor and I would flinch every time he got the ball. In his senior year we were both surprised and happy at his progress.

The newbies need to grow up fast and if they do then we'll be in contention for the crown in Irving.
Revelation 3:20

Haskins Fan

• Mine Foreman
    • View Profile
The way I see it....

Artist is going to be missed he was a horse.
Omega needs to be the leader and limit his turnovers.
It seems like Willms and Jones can handle the paint. They played very well in the second half.
The experience they gained from last year will pay off.
Flaggert is still the questionmark. Eventhough he did good in the second half of last year he still
looks soft.
Touchet needs to be more aggressive handling the ball. His is probably the best defensive player on the team.
Thomas grew up bunches last year. Hopefully that will give him the confidence he needed to take over. I see
him being one of our best players, he just needs to get some muscle.
The Bench, well we have a bunch of new guys who need to contribute right of the bag. I really can't tell who
will step up. I had high hopes for Barret but he is gone.
Our starters will be tough to beat but we need three or four players to step it up before we have some injuries
or the core players get burned.

Go Miners..

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
  • Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
>>CTF and the team learned their lesson last year and will not have a horrible start.

I have every confidence that the team learned their lesson, but has Floyd?  You can't coach the team you wish you had, you have to coach the team you have.  Mid-season he accepted that, but will that continue?  If it does, he can be successful here.  I think he got lazy in the area of coaching and a lot of the players that left were because of him trying to make a square peg fit in a round hole.

The word on Haskins was that he could beat you with his players and then turn around and beat you with yours.  I used to believe Floyd was like that, and I think he once was.  But it takes a sort of humility to recognize that as a coach you need to adapt each year.

If Floyd can show that he really has learned that lesson, then I'll get back off the Fire Floyd wagon.

Proud El Pasoan

• Mole
    • View Profile
I believe they have a legit shot in winning it. I'm not saying we will, but we have a good shot. CTF and the team learned their lesson last year and will not have a horrible start. That was just too embarrassing to repeat. Middle Tennessee lost their top guys as well as UAB. The big contender would be Western Kentucky while Rice or Marshall will be the sleepers. I think the top 5 will be Old Dominion, Middle, Western, UAB, & UTEP.

The home game against Western Kentucky will be huge, luckily it's here at home. Hopefully the Miners pick up a win in that one just like the big win this past season against Middle Tennessee.

MinerInWisconsin

• Mole
    • View Profile
It's always a big IF with Floyd as coach but IF the players coming back and coming in are all really a part of the team that actually plays this season then yes, the team should be in the mix for a conference title. The pre-season trip to Costa Rica in August will be a big help in getting the players used to each other and hopefully they will start to jell. The early season tourney in Puerto Rico in November should further that along. This team should have a decent pre-conference record, especially compared to last year.

Frisco will be an interesting experience. Hope it turns out to be UTEP east during the tournament.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 06:42:57 AM by MinerInWisconsin »

stanman505

• Mine Foreman
    • View Profile
UTEP will have a chance to win because CUSA is an awful conference.

Minermojo

• 2014 AND 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football
  • Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
UTEP will have a chance to win because CUSA is an awful conference.

It can't be "that" bad if the cusa representative has beaten it's foe in the Ncaa tourney for two years. I agree that from around the 7th place team down it's not that good. jmho
Revelation 3:20

stanman505

• Mine Foreman
    • View Profile
Last years basketball team was the 2nd worst team I have seen at UTEP in30 years and they still finished in the top 4 in the conference.  There are so many awful teams/programs in this conference it is amazing.  As soon as they get half way decent their coach leaves (UAB, Rice, La Tech) and they have to start over again.  CUSA will never get more than one team in because of the bottom 6 teams in the conference.  You can put as much lipstick on this pig as you guys want be this conference is still a pig and it boarders on pig shit.

USAFminersfan

• Mine Worker
    • View Profile
Last years basketball team was the 2nd worst team I have seen at UTEP in30 years and they still finished in the top 4 in the conference.  There are so many awful teams/programs in this conference it is amazing.  As soon as they get half way decent their coach leaves (UAB, Rice, La Tech) and they have to start over again.  CUSA will never get more than one team in because of the bottom 6 teams in the conference.  You can put as much lipstick on this pig as you guys want be this conference is still a pig and it boarders on pig shit.

And what's worse is we're not even the second best program in this conference. We play a very big part in how bad this conference really is. I would have thought we'd dominate this conference most years since the realignment,  but that has been anything but the case...

Chanson

• 2017-17 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion
  • Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
Well...

Maybe the conference and the coaches need to get together and build up CUSA. Memphis leaving put us in the shitter, but AAC has dipped lower and lower every year and Memphis is not helping.
CUSA has fantastic coaches and they really need to take some pride and step it up. The top 5 in the conference should push it like AAC is doing. I mean by booking and winning against some big schools as well as staying on a consistent winning drive against opposing teams in the conference.

I can't be all Debbie Downer year after year like some of you. I am a little more positive than most. I totally understand that let downs year after year have a toll and not having big expectations help to ease the disappointment. You all are still Miner fans and while I will respect it, I can't go too far down that path.

Go Miners

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
  • Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
I personally have pretty high expectations for our program.  It wasn't all that many years ago we were considered one of the top mid-major programs in the country.  I am OK with that.  We aren't a Kansas or a NC, where we just pick which kids we want.  I don't want to make the sacrifices in integrity to become a UNLV or Memphis.  So I understand there is a ceiling and I'm OK with that.

My expectations are higher than being a top-half team in a really crappy conference.  If we were consistently a top 3 team in a crappy conference I would probably be OK with that.  You can't win it every year, and the conference is what it is.

I also recognize the NCAA has continued to screw everyone not in a power conference.  They will basically take every team with a winning record from those conferences, and only one from all the others.  it's not fair and it hurts everyone else.  But that also is what it is.

At the end of the day, you have to just be consistently awesome where you are.  And we have not been achieving that.

We do have a reasonable chance to be one of the top couple teams in conference this year.  And maybe we can build on that.