Author Topic: Amazing...  (Read 1158 times)

kuhlero

• 2015 Football Official Prediction Thread Champion
  • Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
Amazing...
« on: May 03, 2017, 11:21:10 AM »
how TTU swooped into the El Paso region established a Medical University etc. it's footprint is very visible in the area with their art/tower/sign on I-10.  Shows you how much the powers that be respect UTEP.  In the long run I guess it benefits all El Pasoans, if it creates jobs, and keeps Medical Professional in the area.

http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/674020/?sc=rsla&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+NewswiseLatestNews+%28Newswise%3A+Latest+News%29

Minermojo

• 2014 AND 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football
  • Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
Re: Amazing...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 12:32:04 PM »
What torques me off is why wasn't this done through UTEP. One thing that might impact UTEP's place in all this is that right now with UTEP fighting to become a Tier One university that money intended for it for research might instead be detoured to TTHSC. As it is told UTEP only needs about 15 million to reach the 100 million goal for it to be considered. The other requirements have already been met that I know of.

It's good for El Paso but sad for UTEP, I think.
Revelation 3:20

zyxwvutsru

• Explosives Supervisor
  • I walk the line between chaos and the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 07:59:37 AM »
The powers to be in Austin decided that TTU would get the medical school in El Paso for two reasons:
1. The UT system, at the time, did not want the first medical school attached to a traditional campus to not be in Austin. Hence, UT Austin buying a medical school to attach to the Austin Campus.
2. Our local state representatives are lightweights around the capitol building. TTU has much more powerful connections and influence in the state.

Fuck them putos.

Austintacious

• Administrator-Official Prediction Thread 2015 Basketball OPT Champion
  • Explosives Supervisor
  • Patience Jackass Patience!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 11:27:47 AM »
Z, reason number 2 is definitely true.  Reason #1 is doubtful.  It wouldn't have an effect on UT Austin.  El Paso is too far away for that. 

Thank George W. and Rick Perry for their influence on that decision.  Look at where they both grew up.  Midland and Haskell are both in proximity of Lubbock. 

Chanson

• 2017-17 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion
  • Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 09:47:55 PM »
Tons of money, time, & accreditation is needed to make something like that work. TTU puts up the money themselves and doesn't use the state for funding, etc. Respectfully, it is not bad for UTEP at all. UTEP is growing crazy right now with new buildings, departments growing, the UT System is in the process of picking up Smelter Town, etc. Lots coming UTEP's way right now and El Paso benefits with the TTU $$ flow.

zyxwvutsru

• Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 09:21:42 AM »
Z, reason number 2 is definitely true.  Reason #1 is doubtful.  It wouldn't have an effect on UT Austin.  El Paso is too far away for that. 

Thank George W. and Rick Perry for their influence on that decision.  Look at where they both grew up.  Midland and Haskell are both in proximity of Lubbock.

A, I heard it from the horse's mouth so to speak. Whether it was actually a reality, and not just the perception of the administration at the time, I do not know, yet that is what I was told. Take it with a grain of salt.  Oh, and fuck them putos. LOL

Tons of money, time, & accreditation is needed to make something like that work. TTU puts up the money themselves and doesn't use the state for funding, etc. Respectfully, it is not bad for UTEP at all. UTEP is growing crazy right now with new buildings, departments growing, the UT System is in the process of picking up Smelter Town, etc. Lots coming UTEP's way right now and El Paso benefits with the TTU $$ flow.

Chanson, I believe that at one point you were correct, even a few months ago. UTEP is bracing for a huge decline in state funding for the next FY. Rumors are that if the funding wasn't already secured and set in stone, it wouldn't be coming soon. Just the scuttlebutt around the ol' water cooler.

Chanson

• 2017-17 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion
  • Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 11:09:53 AM »
Z, you are right on with the funding. Currently UTEP is in a hiring and spending freeze. The state has cut everything off until a budget can get distributed. What the budget will be, I have no clue.

liebestraum

• Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 04:30:11 PM »
The governor set the freeze - it ends at the start of the new fiscal year.

UTEP is not the only university struggling with this.

We were in the process of trying to hire two new faculty members when Abbott called for the freeze.  We were given permission to hire them because they don't start their jobs until September 1.

On the other hand, I was supposed to have funds to work on some online course development this summer - that got pulled.

lieb

Viva UTEP

• Worm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 10:32:12 AM »
Big cities have more than one university.  Lets act like big boys.  At the end of it all El Pasoans get a first rate medical treatment.

That is my 2 cents
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 09:50:54 AM by Viva UTEP »

Minermojo

• 2014 AND 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football
  • Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 10:27:48 AM »
Big cities have more than one university.  Let act like big boys.  At the end of El Pasoans get a first rate medical treatment.

That is my 2 cents

Here's your change…$.01    ;D

I can't understand how a university 600 miles away from any other in Texas can't finagle a Tier One status. We need to reach that goal as we're so much an outlier that Texas NEEDS a university so far removed with a Tier One status.

Revelation 3:20

zyxwvutsru

• Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 02:12:44 PM »
Big cities have more than one university.  Let act like big boys.  At the end of El Pasoans get a first rate medical treatment.

That is my 2 cents

Here's your change…$.01    ;D

I can't understand how a university 600 miles away from any other in Texas can't finagle a Tier One status. We need to reach that goal as we're so much an outlier that Texas NEEDS a university so far removed with a Tier One status.

The state hampers institutions like UTEP, while putting forth the narrative that UTEP and others are 'emerging' research institutions, and that the state is aiding in our quest to reach Tier One status.  Its a sham. The state moves the goalposts, so to speak, every now ans then, ensuring that only a select few (UH, TTU, UTD) ever get close to Tier One status funding from the state.  The fact that UTEP is this close, Mojo, is due to hard work and dedication of the faculty and staff, including Dr. N.