Author Topic: I count 13 athletic scholarships  (Read 816 times)

Chanson

• 2017-17 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion
  • Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
I count 13 athletic scholarships
« on: April 20, 2017, 12:51:56 AM »
Harris, Flaggert, Willms, Osborne, Thomas, Jones, Williams, Wade, Barrett, Gilyard, McGee, Smith, & St. Pierre

As we all know, Touchet is not on an athletic scholarship anymore, but an academic scholly. Is the count supposed to be 13 or 14? Anyway, this is some nice talent we have here with a great mix of size and positions. I think it is safe to say that we have a bench. I'm thinking CTF will want to red shirt a kid or two. Probably Smith and McGee.

MinerInWisconsin

• Mole
    • View Profile
Re: I count 13 athletic scholarships
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 06:32:17 AM »
Actually, Floyd said in his most recent interview that Touchet is on an athletic scholarship as well as additional academic scholarships. He did say the team would absolutely be at 13 scholarships and that Willms and Flaggert would both be grads working on their masters. I don't know if that affects their athletic scholarship status or not.

Chanson

• Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 06:24:38 PM »
Actually, I heard it again & Touchet is not on Athletic. I also heard a 6'8" 240lb Prop 48 kid was picked up. I saw video & it didn't look so hot. I'll search to find more on him.

MinerInWisconsin

• Mole
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 06:36:06 AM »
I thought I better listen again to be sure of Touchet's status and on MinerRush's video of the Floyd interview at about the 9:45 mark, Floyd distinctly says that "Trey is on an athletic scholarship in addition to having an academic grant".

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
  • Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 10:03:06 AM »
Some sports can divide schollies into half-schollies.  Is that even possible in basketball?  Not saying that's whats going on, it just made me curious.

I didn't realize Flaggert has been here long enough to be in grad school next year.

MinerInWisconsin

• Mole
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 01:29:32 PM »
Some sports can divide schollies into half-schollies.  Is that even possible in basketball?  Not saying that's whats going on, it just made me curious.

I didn't realize Flaggert has been here long enough to be in grad school next year.

No, I don't believe it is. The way Floyd put is that since Touchet's grades are so good, he qualifies for an academic grant on top of his athletic scholarship.

liebestraum

• Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 06:47:15 PM »

No, I don't believe it is. The way Floyd put is that since Touchet's grades are so good, he qualifies for an academic grant on top of his athletic scholarship.

It is also possible some of these guys took dual-credit classes in high school.  My youngest son started at the University of North Texas with 18 hours of college credit to his name.  some students can rack up over 30 hours if they want.  That might explain the early grad school classes.

lieb

UTEPDefense

• Mine Foreman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 07:28:51 PM »
Flaggert redshirted after his Freshman year, so next year will be his 5th year at UTEP.  It makes sense for a 5th year Senior to be in Graduate School.

Chanson

• Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 12:13:46 AM »
Taj Royster 6'8" 245lbs PF from Houston Texas. I did more research on the kid and it appears the kid played here in El Paso during a McDonalds tournament here is El Paso 2015 at the Eastwood High School gym. Roy Williams was in town for that. Anyway, here is the article.
http://www.elpasoclassic.com/2015-boys-teams.html

I also Googled the kid and while I didn't find any footage on Youtube, I did find his stats on Max Preps for the 2017 season and the kid was a double double machine on scoring & rebounding. The kid does have a little bit of footage on Miner Rush, but it doesn't show very good footage on the kid at all. The kid is more of a rebounder than anything else. Go on Rush if you want to see what the kid looks like.
http://www.minerrush.com/2017/4/20/15373072/utep-basketball-68-2017-forward-taj-royster-commits-to-utep

liebestraum

• Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 02:13:59 PM »
Flaggert redshirted after his Freshman year, so next year will be his 5th year at UTEP.  It makes sense for a 5th year Senior to be in Graduate School.

Unless you were like me and changed majors because you flunked a 5-hour chemistry class.  lol

lieb