Author Topic: Did anyone go to the scrimmage on Friday?  (Read 861 times)

Chanson

• 2017-17 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion
  • Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
Did anyone go to the scrimmage on Friday?
« on: April 17, 2017, 09:16:43 AM »
Any bright spots? What did we suck at? Do tell.

kyyote

• Administrator
  • Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
Re: Did anyone go to the scrimmage on Friday?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 04:08:15 PM »
I didn't go, but I think a recap might look like, Run, Run, Run.  First down. Run, Run, Run. Punt. Maybe a couple of passes, since it is Springtime in El Paso.

Minermojo

• 2014 AND 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football
  • Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 04:57:31 PM »
I didn't go, but I think a recap might look like, Run, Run, Run.  First down. Run, Run, Run. Punt. Maybe a couple of passes, since it is Springtime in El Paso.

***GROAN***  Ain't that the truth. We need a new coach. With Boob Still I think Kugs will be there even when he's walking with a walker.
Revelation 3:20

utep2step

• Mine Foreman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 11:32:16 PM »
The most exciting news was Kavika  delegated as a receiver which he succeeds at tremendously.  The pistol position he ran with no success appears to be over according to local reports. Yay! David Lucero from Boise via Arizona Western looked really good according to the Times.  UTEP has him and Weeks (via BYU) to lead the TE position.

That was it. Local reports didn't say much more. O line has depth again. Metz is the leader, it's his team now. Dawn is the starting rb but UTEP expects big big things from Josh Fields according to the EP Times.

IMO, Kug recruited and got some linebacking help. UTEP just got creamed on the weak side and off tackle at times as Army and Rice totally exposed them. Rice just made pudding out of the linebackers with their creative blocking schemes against UTEP. Army was not creative, they just rammed it down UTEP's throat by late in the second quarter. If there is improvement there, UTEP can perhaps salvage this season. Core strength and a disciplined defensive effort from the lb's and secondary and I really do think UTEP can expose some light as they face this brutal schedule.

The bad and most under reported? Fan support. This is the toughest schedule in the Kug era and El Paso is lukewarm at best. The "15,000 core fans" at home games that is publicly exclaimed so much is going to get tested plenty this year. If UTEP lays a 75-14 type score at OU, the first home game at Rice could be financial dumpster fire that Stull can not stay quiet about anymore. Anyone following UTEP sports knows UTEP has to be losing a ton of revenue the last two years for home games. UTEP has to reach out to the community hard this upcoming summer.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 11:33:48 PM by utep2step »

MinerInWisconsin

• Mole
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 06:24:03 AM »
The best years for ticket sales for UTEP, according to the USAToday database, were 2006 and 2007 with about $4.5 million per season. That's all sports. The 2014 and 2015 ticket sales were the worst at less than $2.5 million each season. Kugler ball not only loses more than it wins but it is also pretty boring. Winning certainly would help but fans need reasons to attend because casual fans in EP don't seem to feel connected to UTEP's teams otherwise.

IMHO we need to see at least 1 td improvement on both sides of the line of scrimmage. 2 td's per game difference from last year. That should result in a New Mexico bowl bid. UTSA went last year and took about 5k fans according to reports. Not bad but UTEP would take at least twice that and I believe the last visit in 2014 there were in the neighborhood of 15k Miner fans present.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
  • Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 10:01:31 AM »
EP fan support is the best reason I've heard for playing the CMP type high scoring game.  For whatever reason, the fans seem to need lots of scoring to get excited.

This seems odd to me since soccer and baseball are extremely popular in El Paso, and I find both of them are like watching grass grow and paint dry. 

Maybe the lesson here is if you can truly appreciate the subtleties of a sport you don't mind low scores.  If not, then you want to see a lot of scoring or else its just boring.

UTEPDefense

• Mine Foreman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 11:24:43 AM »
I think it is all related to the fact that UTEP has never had a consistent winner in football, therefore a proper fan base beyond 15k-20k "true fans" has never developed.  As a result of this, people incorrectly feel like they need to be "entertained" at football games, more than just going to see if UTEP wins or loses the game.  In basketball, our fans are more educated due to the succesful history that we have had.  You will hear UTEP fans cheer when we are on defense and the opposing team, when after first initially trying, has to kick the ball out and restart their offense.  Not every fan base recognizes and appreciates small stuff like that, but the UTEP basketball fans are more educated than most and applaud those type of subtleties. 

Compare that to football when every time UTEP has more than 40,000 fans in the Sun Bowl, you will see our fans trying to start the wave and creating noise while we are on offense. Or you will see a football being thrown all around the stadium and the ball boy trying to get it back, after the extra point was kicked up into the stands.  This type of stuff happens regardless of what type of offense we run, even when Price was winning games and his offense was scoring 40 points a game, our fans were still doing this type of non-sense.  Then once the tailgating rules changed and the party atmosphere ended, so did our attendance.  The lack of having developed a large true fan base, due to so many decades of losing, means that we have more fans than normal who are looking for entertainment more than just what is on the field.  Our football fans are not as focused like our basketball fans are.  I hate it, but I think this is part of the issue.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 04:15:12 PM by UTEPDefense »

ronstr300

• Mine Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 03:08:08 PM »
I think you it the nail on the head D. The tailgating rules REALLY hurt attendance, as it would anywhere. The fact they tried putting a "Fun Zone" on the concourse area also proves they weren't trying to build a football fan base. What football fan wants to miss the game to take the kids to play games? What's the point in being at the game?

In order to build a fan base, you must WIN first. Then interact with the community to show you want them watching you play/win. You also need to inform the community that you have football games and when they are. (BTW I hate the fact they have changed the start times) 

kyyote

• Administrator
  • Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 07:34:59 AM »
Losing sucks! Losing when you play boring, losing, insultingly stupid football not only sucks, it frustrates.  I didn't quit going to games because of tailgating, dumbass fuckheads trying to start the wave while we are on offense(although the offense is so boring it does keep you awake) OR because I can't appreciate the subtleties of the game. I didn't just lose interest.  I stopped because the idiot coach has taken the program back to the stone age and not only lost any momentum the program had, he threw it away like it was disgusting trash.  I don't give a rat's hemorrhoidic ass if the team won enough games to go to the NM Bowl. I wouldn't take a free bus ride to go watch.  Winning, on the other hand is fun.  People like it.  They like the hours and days afterwards.  They want to go back for more.  The next best thing to winning is having a chance to win.  Kugler is the most uninspiring coach I have ever seen.  Mike Tyson just pounding a guy into submission isn't all that entertaining but he did win.  Watching a punch-drunk Tough man competition winner trying to pound his way through a real professional boxer with skills is not exciting.  It is stupid and pathetic to watch.  UTEP Football.  At least with Price's offense the other bastard better cover up cause the Miners were going to at least throw punches.  Kugler the Bayonne bleeder.  Kugler is a tomato can.  He will follow you around the ring taking a beating with grim determination.  If there was a National Athletic commission Kugler's team would not be allowed to get in the ring. Under Kugler, UTEP is back to being in competition with NMSU for worst team in the country.  Thanks for all you have done Sean.  The thing is, you can't get people to go watch Kugler ball even if you let them in for a Roman Meal bread wrapper.  It is like offering free rectal exams down at the Planet Fitness place.  Nobody wants that. Kugler is a Miner.  He probably is a solidly good man.  But, he seems to have not mastered college football coaching.  Winning games seems to be an afterthought. What is important is running his offense.  Into the grave.  My prediction for this season is more losing (but we will still own time of possession-too bad that isn't how they determine winners, right Sean because that is what is important), in the same stupid boring way and even the hard core fans are getting too old for that shit and the enthusiasm generated by Kugler ball will drive more away.  We are back to wondering what kind of humiliation the season will bring.  Seems like old times.  Kugler.  A head coach for the fifties and sixties.  But we got him now.