Author Topic: Angst? The Kugler Way  (Read 1055 times)

kyyote

• Administrator
  • Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
Angst? The Kugler Way
« on: February 07, 2017, 10:08:38 AM »
I lost interest in renewing my seats a couple of years ago. I have made it no secret that I think Kugler was classless in how he took the reins.  I have also been very critical of his refusal to pass the football.  With the losses, the thrill of victory was gone and the style of play, I just wasn't into it enough to get that cold anymore.  So, I was asking myself if it would matter if the team was winning?  My answer seemed to be I don't think so.  I would be happier if we were winning, but I still don't think I would go sit in the cold to watch it.  I am wondering if I am the only one that feels that way.  Ticket sales.  Would they go up a whole bunch?  If the team won 7 games?

Chanson

• 2017-17 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion
  • Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
Re: Angst? The Kugler Way
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 10:35:10 AM »
I have been a season ticket holder since I moved back to El Paso in 2002 for basketball and football. I think I have only missed 3-4 games in that span for both sports. I obviously travel to Cruces and go to the some big away games for football (TT, Texas, OK).

I was really tired of how the teams dragged in Prices last years and I told my wife and two boys that I was not going to renew. My two boys were really upset when I said that. Not only do they love watching the games, but love the whole spectacle surrounding it (tailgating, vendors, throwing the ball around, making new friends, walking the stadium, etc.). As much as they understood how bad the team was, they still wanted to go. They are now 14 & 11 years old and they still want to keep going.

I realized these are very important years for these boys and while El Paso is not really the gathering spot for things to do, UTEP Football & Basketball are the best ticket in town. No matter how good or bad these teams are, they teach a sense of pride, sportsmanship, & various social skills. I mean, it's not like Cubs fans Indians fans stop going to games.

So, to end this entry, not only did I learn this was quality family time, but it was also good for my soul. Coping with wins and loses keeps your mind busy and pushes better qualities. No matter who is coaching or playing, you can bet they are putting their best efforts into winning. That is why it is worth going to support my Miners.

PS- Sorry for getting deep

Go Miner

kyyote

• Administrator
  • Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 01:31:46 PM »
I liked your answer.

SmackTalker66

• Worm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 01:45:07 PM »
Kyyote,

It's your cash and you can spend it however you want. Sometimes you fall out of love with people, places, and things. If you're not satisfied with something, why continue to put down the money for it?

If you miss it, maybe you'll go back, maybe you won't. If the team was killing it, we would probably all feel differently. Thing is, once they do start killing it, you can jump right back in and no one will care.

Losing isn't fun. Losing year after year isn't fun either. Can't fault anyone for not going. El Paso has blindly supported long enough, time for UTEP to give back.

kyyote

• Administrator
  • Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 01:57:24 PM »
I almost think seeing exciting football has become important to me.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
  • Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 02:42:15 PM »
Personally, I find winning exciting.  I don't much care what game plan makes it happen.
However, if the choice is between losing a 35+ point shootout or losing a 10-7 grind it out game, I'd take the shootout.

kyyote

• Administrator
  • Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 02:51:32 PM »
Sis, this is why I made the post, and made it in such a way as I did.  Winning is cool.  Winning 3-2 is cool, and may be exciting as Hell.  Maybe it is the gravity(?) of the losses of a grind it out game as opposed to a game where you felt there was a chance.  I don't know. 

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
  • Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 04:03:10 PM »
I don't mind low scoring football or basketball games at all, but I find baseball and soccer boring as hell because of the low scoring.  Probably that's because I follow the first two closely enough to appreciate what's happening, but not the second two.

It seems generally that the casual fan has a strong preference for lots of scoring, which is why NFL and NBA alter the rules to ensure lots of scoring, and why they are so popular.

I have no explanation for NASCAR except -- drunk rednecks.

kyyote

• Administrator
  • Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 04:21:35 PM »
I can appreciate a pitchers duel.  It may have something to do with growing up listening to Koufax, Drysdale, Marichal and Perry games.

liebestraum

• Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 04:29:20 PM »
Even when UTEP went 0-11 in the early 70's and seemed to give up more points per game than the BB team did, I looked forward to going to the games.  Of course, I was young and stupid then.  Now I'm old and stupid.  If I lived in El Paso, I'm pretty sure I'd still be going to the games.  I miss the Sun Bowl atmosphere.

Of course, my employer's football team is pretty good and I enjoy those games, but DAMN - I wish it was UTEP that was doing that.

lieb

Minermojo

• 2014 AND 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football
  • Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 05:16:34 PM »
Every year for some reason the football team pisses me off or should I say the coaches do. I always tell myself that I won't be buying season tickets anymore and my wonderful wife puts a stop pretty quickly to that thought. She loves going and to be frank I do too. It's just that I get P'sed with how they're coaching. Like running Aaron to the ground both years he was here instead of finding a decent QB and receivers to give him a break. Kugs is a stubborn cuss and he'll do what he wants and anyone that doesn't like it can stuff it. He's the Pope of the Sun Bowl. That's why I wanted to cancel my seasons tickets but like I said my wife sends in our money.

You're right Chanson the football games are fun and it's like a carnival every time they play here. You can't beat the price either, well for me anyway, now. I couldn't afford it when I was young but it's still expensive to young families. I couldn't believe that my son paid 20 bucks per ticket against Enemas U. He said it's too costly for him and if he gets free tickets from other fans he said he couldn't go. I see his point.

I probably will buy season tickets for next year and hope we go to a bowl.
Revelation 3:20

stanman505

• Mine Foreman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 10:06:11 PM »
I cancelled my season tickets two years ago after my father moved to Phoenix.  I just don't get the same feel/atmosphere at the games any more.  I do go now but I buy my tickets the week of the game. That way I don't spend money when I find other things that are a better use of my time.  I was frustrated with the play calling the last few years of Price but I could take it because the team always had big play capability.  I have never felt that way under Kugs.  I know Jones could break one but It just seems hard to break a huge run rather than a pass play.

ronstr300

• Mine Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 09:01:39 AM »
I get it that the general public prefers high scoring games, but UTEP fans prefer winning games. I promise you that if we were going 8-4 each year, winning games 17-13, going to bowls, the fan support would be strong. Most folks aren't stuck on the type of offense we run as they are stuck on wanting a winning program.

My friends and I had season tickets in football for about 20+ years. (about 10 of us) Granted we were in the cheap seats, but we were there every single damn game. None of us have tickets anymore because we ALL got tired of Price and LOSING. Stull kept his buddy around for like 5 years too long. Say what you want, but losing is losing. We haven't gotten tickets since Kugler has been here either, because.....losing is losing. And remember....we KNOW what losing feels like.

Honestly folks, Kugler could open shit wide open and average 50 points a game and several on here would still hate him. If we don't get to a good record, El Pasoans won't care either. The odds are stacked against him and the football team this year. No chance he turns the corner as he said he would. Therefore, some hate will still be around and fans in the stands won't be.

I think if a coach can't make progress in wins and losses within 3 years, they need to go. We SHOULD be in real postseason in both major sports regularly. Period.

utep2step

• Mine Foreman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 12:05:06 PM »
El Paso needs to direct 100% of their angst and frustration and demand Stull be fired or step down. Don't direct it at Kugler or Floyd, it's pointless. One just gives a stoic faced bullet point presentation and the other one just insults fans and media when they feel the heat. Stull needs to go.

UTEPDefense

• Mine Foreman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 04:31:00 PM »
When I was a kid, going with my Dad to the Dudley Dome for the Diablos games and going to the Sun Bowl for the UTEP Football games were both magical to me.  Not sure why, but I always loved it and it left a big impression on me.  As time has grown, I have not kept the same level of interest in baseball, but I have always loved football.  I have had football season tickets for many years now and naturally, I do attend the games because I love UTEP Football, but what I have begun to realize recently, is that I am now almost renewing my season tickets every year because it makes me feel as though I am helping my Alma Mater.  And because renewing my Season Tickets makes me feel this way, I will probably always continue to renew my season tickets every year regardless of who is the Coach/Athletic Director/Style of Play/Etc.  I know that some people feel that not renewing season tickets is the best way that they can influence change and certainly there is something that can be said by voting with your dollars.  But at the end of the day, I just feel that our Football Program & University would both be in a better position if just half of the UTEP Alumni living in El Paso purchased season tickets.  So this is my personal reason for continuing to renew and attend the games.  Yes, I love the games, but more and more it is also because I feel that it is a good way for me to continuously help/support my Alma Mater.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 04:38:24 PM by UTEPDefense »

SHYMINER

• Mole
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2017, 07:23:02 PM »
Since I left El Paso, I often wonder if I would have the same excitement as I used to... I went down for the army game, and really wanted to leave during halftime. It's not the same, or at least felt that way. Crowd included, I still watch every game and probably always will. Kugler, is no Mike Price, and that is good and bad... but Price brought something Kugler, has just not. Excitement, the ability to know your team can go toe to toe with Texas tech in a shoot out. Kugler teams, seem to not have a chance. And it sucks. I felt the same way for basketball in Pullman last year. Love the Miners, but its a cloudy time... Excitement is needed all around. Sadly, it starts with boring STULL.

kyyote

• Administrator
  • Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2017, 07:38:59 PM »
D, I too always enjoyed the knowledge that my tickets we helping support my school.  At my age, for the price of tickets I would almost just as soon buy them and just not go.  For me, I must admit, old age is a factor perhaps but more than that it is what SHY said.  He captured it pretty much.