Author Topic: He's Gone...  (Read 1661 times)

kuhlero

• 2015 Football Official Prediction Thread Champion
  • Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
He's Gone...
« on: December 31, 2016, 11:47:30 AM »
wish him the best, can't wait to hear him say "Aaron Jones the 915" or "Aaron Jones UTEP'.

Chanson

• 2017-17 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion
  • Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
Re: He's Gone...
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 09:46:44 AM »
This kid is El Paso's jewel. Where he goes, El Paso goes with him. He is not just a representative of the school, but the whole city. My whole family will be following this kid the whole way.

Good luck, son.

utep2step

• Mine Foreman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 10:35:02 AM »
Other than his DUI, he appeared to stay clean, too. That's a big, big deal. John Harvey and Singleton didn't exactly stay on the straight and narrow. Harvey was even banned from playing in the Independence Bowl because they found cocaine in his system and it was later revealed he was a heavy cocaine user. His use even got him booted out of Tampa Bay camp. Singleton was a thug going back to his Coronado days. He was heavily involved with west side gangs and staying in El Paso was actually a bad move for him because he stayed with his gang banging element crowd.  He was in Tampa (ironic) and in a heated battle with rookie Mike Allstot from Purdue (yes,  "The A Train") and was shipped back to El Paso County Detention for booking. Tampa told him not to come back and the rest is history. True story, look it up yourself.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 10:37:46 AM by utep2step »

stanman505

• Mine Foreman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 11:55:18 AM »
Other than his DUI, he appeared to stay clean, too. That's a big, big deal. John Harvey and Singleton didn't exactly stay on the straight and narrow. Harvey was even banned from playing in the Independence Bowl because they found cocaine in his system and it was later revealed he was a heavy cocaine user. His use even got him booted out of Tampa Bay camp. Singleton was a thug going back to his Coronado days. He was heavily involved with west side gangs and staying in El Paso was actually a bad move for him because he stayed with his gang banging element crowd.  He was in Tampa (ironic) and in a heated battle with rookie Mike Allstot from Purdue (yes,  "The A Train") and was shipped back to El Paso County Detention for booking. Tampa told him not to come back and the rest is history. True story, look it up yourself.

Torrano was not involved in gangs.  He had a very difficult childhood and always had a chip on his shoulder.  This did get him in trouble with the fight that ultimately put him in jail.  No need for me to look up the story as Singleton is a close friend to one of my best friends.

utep2step

• Mine Foreman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 04:37:12 PM »
Tough childhood...check. Chip on his shoulder....check. Your best friend...check. And has a solid career in strength and conditioning in Sacramento, CA.

I have one question, was he offered deferred adjudication in the summer of '96? (My understanding was that he wasn't); but the past is the past.

My apologies but the football program under some former UTEP coaches was a insulated but unorganized criminal enterprise at times and yes I know, it is a common problem but which leads to why Kugler is here. After years and years of poor management, mostly Stull's doing, Kugler wasn't brought in to win, he was brought in to literally burn, bleach, rebuild and scrub the place clean like if they were a brand new program. Was it done by Price? Most of it was. What does this have to do with Singleton? Quite a bit to coaches like Kugler because to coaches like him, it's a sign of a much larger systemic problem. Are you familiar with John Blake, former coach of OU? He wasn't brought in to win, he was brought in to clean up OU's mess (a lot created and left behind by Switzer and AD staff years earlier) and rebuild the system. And this includes to a certain degree, burying the past....everything, you either go whole hog or don't do it all.  Call it revisionist history or whatever you want to call it. It's basic sanctifying if you get down to it. The business vernacular world prefers the word "remediation", sounds more professional and legalistic. Singleton, history and other players, and this is my opinion, is part of that process. So keep expecting Kugler's rushing the ball on first and second down and another losing year and same for 2018, Kugler is rebuilding a program legacy that was basically a shanty town...and is not doing a good job doing it.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 04:40:00 PM by utep2step »

ronstr300

• Mine Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 05:08:33 PM »

Torrano was not involved in gangs.  He had a very difficult childhood and always had a chip on his shoulder.  This did get him in trouble with the fight that ultimately put him in jail.  No need for me to look up the story as Singleton is a close friend to one of my best friends.

Sorry Stan, but I for one don't by that. Most family members will SWEAR there kids aren't in gangs. I know for a fact that the studs at Irvin back in the day were ALL in gangs. That doesnt mean the kids weren't smart or talented. It just means they hung out with football gangs. It happens. A lot have cleaned themselves up. Others didn't do so well.

Singleton was an extremely talented kid. Too bad shit didn't work out for him. Don't know where he is now, but I hope he is ok....

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
  • Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 05:10:01 PM »
Brian Young

kappy600

• Worm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 11:15:36 AM »

ronstr300

• Mine Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 01:32:47 PM »
Holy crap he's HUGE!

That's awesome.....thanks Kappy.

See...people do get their shit together. Me, not so much.....   ;D

utep2step

• Mine Foreman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 02:57:39 PM »
Ok, ganged up on by friends who actually know each other, fine I get it.

I will jump to a presumption based on the 96 case. His fists, under the prosecutions' definition under state law were basically declared "lethal weapons" used in a crime. Under the law at that time, that could carry any where from 2 to 20, felony of misdemeanor, that's the range. Deferred adjudication is and was allowed by the state at the time. Was it offered to him? You're his buddies, are any of you allowed to answer the question?

zyxwvutsru

• Explosives Supervisor
  • I walk the line between chaos and the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 09:19:15 AM »

I will jump to a presumption based on the 96 case. His fists, under the prosecutions' definition under state law were basically declared "lethal weapons" used in a crime. Under the law at that time, that could carry any where from 2 to 20, felony of misdemeanor, that's the range. Deferred adjudication is and was allowed by the state at the time. Was it offered to him? You're his buddies, are any of you allowed to answer the question?

That was 20 years ago. Does it really matter?

utep2step

• Mine Foreman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 09:50:20 AM »

That was 20 years ago. Does it really matter?

No it doesn't, it really doesn't. Actually, I really am glad to see him healthy and successful in his health training business and good for him for finishing his degree. I remember being on the sidelines during his playing days and he played full tilt every snap of the ball. He, Harvey and now Jones are UTEP legends (with Paul Smith right behind them. Who set a cross fit world record back in '12 http://games.crossfit.com/article/smith-sets-world-record-boroumand-barto-march ).

However, I realize some of you are buddies on here who actually know each other and can provide actual first hand accounts and info and utilizing self-deprecating humor to actually insult the other party is an old slight of hand humor that goes back ages, and very popular on this forum. But can you at least answer a direct question? For the life of me I don't get why Miner fans have to form circle and fire at each other. They do it on here, on Kap's show, the paper, social sites, and local media. My comment regarding Singleton were from people who knew him back in his younger days. Fine, they're wrong, so be it. However, facts trump opinion, so set me straight and answer the question.