Author Topic: UTEP Basketball Opener  (Read 1116 times)

Chanson

• 2017-17 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion
  • Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
UTEP Basketball Opener
« on: November 13, 2016, 10:15:49 AM »
I have to say I didn't expect to see UTEP turn on the gas with almost every player on the team.

So we played a Division III team last night in Louisiana College. This was not a very good team compared to the exhibition games we played last week. LA College was a team of guards and small forwards. They were fast and moved the ball a lot. That being said, our guards kept that team on a tight leash. Artis almost had a triple double, Omega easily scores 24 points, and even Barrett had two 3 pointers and about 8 assists. Willms showed up to play, but when you are playing another team that is not thick and the tallest kid is 6'6", you are going to dominate the boards and the paint. Thomas & Jones both got in foul trouble early, but we expected it when bigs have to guard down. Our biggest problem is turning the ball over and our guards are mostly to blame.
I would have to say that my favorite part of the game is when CTF played Flaggert, Jones, Barnes, Cameron, & Barrett for about 5min. Not only did they hold, but they outscored the opponent. That says a lot for a JR and 4 Freshmen. The things we have improved upon compared to last year are free throws, more assists, & making the easy under the basket shots.

Super Studs
Artis- One of the top 25 PG in the country (my opinion)
Omega- The kid made the fewest mistakes, fasted kid on a court, & scored the most
Barrett- Proud to say this is our starting PG for the next 3yrs. This kid played well against other guards
Winn- The hardest worker on the court.
Willms- The short time he played he was very efficient. He played against a very small team and adjusted his speed to keep up.

Need more time
Thomas- The kid is really improving, but his game was thrown off, because we played a VERY small team.
Jones- Didn't have Willms smarts to take advantage of smaller players.
Flaggert- The kid is good on D, but needs to learn how to get open for the jumper. He is deadly from beyond the arc.
Touchet- the kid is very confident, but needs to protect the rock better & needs to hit his jumpers with frequency
Barnes- I like him more and more. He plays very relaxed, but was open for jumpers a few times and drove instead of shot.
Cameron- Great defender and his offense is improving. He hit a 3 in the game. He needs to drive & show that athleticism.
Venegas- played a little and was busy, but not really productive
Moore- I don't remember seeing him in the game at all. This kid may be a red shirt.

It will be interesting to see how the Miners transition next week with Wake Forrest. CTF has played Danny Manning a few times when he was with Tulsa and knows how he plays. Our guard play will be as good as if not better, but unless Willms plays more minutes, they will have the advantage with the big men.

NMSU sucks

• 2015-16 Basketball Official Prediction thread Champion
  • Mine Foreman
    • View Profile
Re: UTEP Basketball Opener
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 11:44:29 AM »
Danny Manning owns Floyd. We finally play a real team for once this season and we are going to get crushed by at least 20 points.

stanman505

• Mine Foreman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 06:52:57 AM »
I have to say I didn't expect to see UTEP turn on the gas with almost every player on the team.

So we played a Division III team last night in Louisiana College. This was not a very good team compared to the exhibition games we played last week. LA College was a team of guards and small forwards. They were fast and moved the ball a lot. That being said, our guards kept that team on a tight leash. Artis almost had a triple double, Omega easily scores 24 points, and even Barrett had two 3 pointers and about 8 assists. Willms showed up to play, but when you are playing another team that is not thick and the tallest kid is 6'6", you are going to dominate the boards and the paint. Thomas & Jones both got in foul trouble early, but we expected it when bigs have to guard down. Our biggest problem is turning the ball over and our guards are mostly to blame.
I would have to say that my favorite part of the game is when CTF played Flaggert, Jones, Barnes, Cameron, & Barrett for about 5min. Not only did they hold, but they outscored the opponent. That says a lot for a JR and 4 Freshmen. The things we have improved upon compared to last year are free throws, more assists, & making the easy under the basket shots.

Super Studs
Artis- One of the top 25 PG in the country (my opinion)
Omega- The kid made the fewest mistakes, fasted kid on a court, & scored the most
Barrett- Proud to say this is our starting PG for the next 3yrs. This kid played well against other guards
Winn- The hardest worker on the court.
Willms- The short time he played he was very efficient. He played against a very small team and adjusted his speed to keep up.

Need more time
Thomas- The kid is really improving, but his game was thrown off, because we played a VERY small team.
Jones- Didn't have Willms smarts to take advantage of smaller players.
Flaggert- The kid is good on D, but needs to learn how to get open for the jumper. He is deadly from beyond the arc.
Touchet- the kid is very confident, but needs to protect the rock better & needs to hit his jumpers with frequency
Barnes- I like him more and more. He plays very relaxed, but was open for jumpers a few times and drove instead of shot.
Cameron- Great defender and his offense is improving. He hit a 3 in the game. He needs to drive & show that athleticism.
Venegas- played a little and was busy, but not really productive
Moore- I don't remember seeing him in the game at all. This kid may be a red shirt.

It will be interesting to see how the Miners transition next week with Wake Forrest. CTF has played Danny Manning a few times when he was with Tulsa and knows how he plays. Our guard play will be as good as if not better, but unless Willms plays more minutes, they will have the advantage with the big men.

I am going to disagree with you on Artis.  There is NO WAY he is one of the top 25 point guards in the country.  You also mentioned that Touchet needs to cut down his turnovers yet fail to mention that Artis had 5 turnovers to Touchet's 4.  The reason Flaggert cannot get open is because of his lack of foot speed.  Flaggert is a good team defender but not a good on ball defender, which explains why he picks up charges but cannot stay between his man and the basket.  Winn is not only the hardest worker on the team but the best player.  You are right that Floyd knows Danny Manning.  What you didn't mention is that Manning knows Floyd and beat Floyd most times with less talent that Floyd had.  I love UTEP basketball and will watch and attend but I have set my expectations at 15-17 wins and think we could lose all three games this week.

Chanson

• 2017-17 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion
  • Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 09:26:25 AM »
You also mentioned that Touchet needs to cut down his turnovers yet fail to mention that Artis had 5 turnovers to Touchet's 4.  Per Stanman

All very good points. You use the word "Fail" a lot. Why are you upset? I didn't fail anyone. If anything, you have failed to recognize I am being proactive in delivering my interpretation. Artis did have one more give away than Touchet, but almost had a triple double in the process. I'll take those numbers ALL DAY LONG. Also, what other PG in the country started off with those numbers? How about no one. I understand we played a Div III school, but that is no excuse to play down to the competition or hold back. Based on his numbers is why I said he is a top 25 PG in the country and that is what those assholes at the NCAA look at as well. You are spot on with Manning, Flaggerts foot work, and I agree with your win ratio. I came to terms with the wins this year a long time ago and decided to look at this year for what it is. A development year. You'll see I've been pretty consistent with that in previous posts.
You can't deny that this years Freshmen are something special. I don't mean 1 or 2 look good. I mean Jones, Barnes, Cameron, & Barrett look fantastic. Moore hasn't played enough to give an assessment. So, just because they look great doesn't mean we are going to be good. The usual suspects via Omega, Winn, & Artis are going to need to step it up if we going to stay above water. That puts Floyd with his back on the ropes. I've recognized that Floyd performs better in that position here at UTEP. Also, our top 3 players are good enough to recognize that they will need the rest of the team to be successful and will incorporate their strengths.
I wish Flaggert & Touchet were as talented as they are hard working, but they are not. I seriously don't see that in our Freshmen.
Cameron- a superior defender and hit his shots even though he was experiencing Flu like symptoms at game time. He has JWash footwork.
Jones- Asks for forgiveness instead of permission. The kid is not afraid. This white boy is athletic & wants to bang. It's advantageous to tone down than turn up.
Barrett- Had 8 assists, two 3pt shots, & lost the ball once. HELLO?!
Barnes- Has the best talent in the group and he looks smooth. His confidence is not there yet, but playing time will help that. Kind of like Thomas last year.
Thomas & Willms will be the keys to success. I'm not holding my breath, though. They will be the difference between 15 wins and 20 wins. Thomas has a nice jumper & pulls in those rebounds & seems to be coming around, but he saw less time because of foul trouble. I hold my breath every time I see Willms jump or run hard. I keep thinking of that game he had against the center for Arizona who is in the NBA now. Willms was a stud that night & I can only hope we see that kid back.

Obviously I can spin our team how I want, but we will see what they can do on Thursday. If I was a betting man, & I am, I would bet Manning puts another in the win column against Floyd. I hope I eat my words.

Go Miners
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 09:36:10 AM by Chanson »

ronstr300

• Mine Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 06:55:45 AM »
Just because the kid is athletic doesn't mean he is talented. Don't blur the lines.

I am no where near sold on Barnes "talent". Cameron has POTENTIAL, but to say he is a lock down defender is a stretch. Also, Barrett is being praised a lot. I don't much difference between him and Touchet except foot speed. Personally, I prefer Touchet.
Everyone dogs on Flaggert, but yanno what? He doesn't make stupid mistakes that will cost turnovers, points, or games. I see Artis making those mistakes.
Let's also remember how little playing time Thomas got last year. Since he WILL be getting a lot of minutes this year, don't forget he is basically a freshman. Allow for the learning curve you are so willing to give all the new guys. (I didn't like Thomas last year at all)

Sometimes people are waaaayyy too negative. Sometimes everything is bright orange....It's somewhere in the middle....

lil_train

• Worm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 01:30:59 PM »
I think one of the big misses by the staff this off season was in failing to bring in a legitimate scorer to offset the loses of Moore and Morris.  When they missed out on several JC targets (including the kid that signed with UNLV), that left a giant gap that doesn't look like it will be filled by any of the freshman.  In all honesty, it is unrealistic to believe a freshman could have that type of impact.  If either Omega or Artis struggle on the offensive end, it will be interesting to see who, if anyone, can step up to provide some offensive spark.  The challenge begins this Thursday. 

NMSU sucks

• 2015-16 Basketball Official Prediction thread Champion
  • Mine Foreman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 07:23:29 PM »
I stopped reading after seeing Artis a top 25 PG after playing a Division 3 school.  Just when I think Chanson can't get any dumber, he proves me wrong yet again.