Author Topic: CTF already started 2017 signees  (Read 2002 times)

Chanson

• 2017-17 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion
  • Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
CTF already started 2017 signees
« on: November 10, 2016, 12:58:35 PM »
I've been reading a few websites and saw that Floyd has announced Osborne 6'5" SF, Wade 6'5" SF, Smith 6'8" SF & McGee 6' PG. As you all already know, Wade and Osborne are already taking courses at UTEP now, so we know they will be playing next year (unless they chase a girl to a JUCO).

Tirus Smith- I don't have much info, but this kid is supposed to be a bruiser averaging per game 17pts, 11reb, & 3blks. He was committed to Ole Miss, but changed. He is built like Marlon Maxie and has big hands. I'll have more later on this kid.

Wade is supposed to be a tremendous talent that averaged 19pts & 7.5reb his Sr year. Floyd is as high on this kid as he has been with the likes of Hunter, JWash, etc. If he has that kind of talent, then I can't wait to see the kid play.

Osborne is a Canadian white boy that has crazy athletic skills. We saw him play at the Orange/White scrimmage and while he is quick and can really jump, he is a horrible shooter and didn't seem used to the speed. I feel he has work to do.

McGee made me angre. He won't like me when I'm angry. Ha, had to put that in there. Of course I'm kidding, but this kid is a 3pt machine with .421 average from the arc and averaged 18pts per game. He is also quick & will pass before he shoots.

These 4 were under the radar players and not really recognized by any of the scouting sites. There are still 3 more players listed as verbal commits and they are Roderick Williams 6'5" JUCO SF 3★, Gilyard 5'10" 2.5★ PG, and Brewer 6'6" SF. There are still about 6 others that are being recruited hard that range from 6'9" to 7'2". I heard CTF really wants 1 more big man and is looking for one with footwork skills a la Moultrie, Caracter, Antonio Davis, etc. So... what does this mean? With only 2 available scholly's next year we are looking at up to about 7 recruits and that equals a combo of scenarios.

1) We will lose some kids.
2) Not all recruits will wear orange. Again, our best bet for talent is under the radar talent and that means taking chances with eligibility &/or losing to other schools, etc.
3) No shows & kids that don't fit in. We saw this with that kid that was Hunters cousin, Watts, etc.

I really like the talent I see in this years freshmen class in Jones, Barnes, Cameron, & Barrett. I'm still skeptical on Moore & Osborne. I also think we will see Willms scholly be available. I think if he is un healthy, he will have no choice. He also might take the roll of what Caldwell did and play on his own next year with the promise of coach paying for the follow year in the operations side.

Lots of things can and will happen and I understand why. What I am concentrating on now is what you all are looking at and that is what is this year going to bring. I seriously like the talent. While a lot of it is raw, I haven't seen this combo of talent since 2011. The difference was in 2011 that talent was in the form of SR's. We have 3 super talents in Artis, Omega, & Winn. Luckily only one of those will leave after this year. Omega & Artis will need to get that timing and learn to make those around them better. Winn needs to fit into the 3 position a little smoother. Thomas needs to loosen up and keep playing hard. I'm not sure which I like more between Barnes & Jones. Both of them play very loose and are making the mistakes I like to see. What I mean by that is the mistakes that can be adjusted quickly like one to many passes, one to many moves, going left instead of right, post moving out instead of in. Those are quick adjustments and one step shy of a confident player. Winn went through that last year. Barrett really didn't make so many mistakes, but also didn't push to make himself or others better. Cameron is really good with his footwork and plays GREAT defense, but his offense is the exact opposite. Post moves and his hands need to advance. Flaggert & Touchet are role players that need to assist especially when the talent struggles or are double teamed. The best walk on we have is Venegas and he has short bursts of hard play when he is in. His playing time needs to stay short, but effective.

I guess we will see what our team can do Saturday night. If our guards are given the green light to run and gun, we will win convincingly. I have a feeling CTF will want the guards to work the big men in which the game will be tight & the fans will think we suck.

Go Miners
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 04:08:41 PM by Chanson »

BREVO

• Worm
    • View Profile
Re: CTF already started 2017 signees
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 03:08:24 PM »
Nice review Chanson. 
Thanks

Chanson

• Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 05:51:41 PM »
I have a little bit more on Tirus Smith.

Composite is the only one that has him at 6'6", but all others are listing at either 6'8" or 6'9". I'm guessing Composite has either Soph or early JR info. The consistent thing is most have him listed at 245lbs. Because he is no where to be found on Youtube, I did see him on Google and looking at his pics and he is a thick bodied 6'8" or 6'9" big kid. This also is a Floyd recruit. The kid is from Mississippi. We all have seen his pic with CTF last year, but that has changed. The kid has matured and has Derrick Caracter size. The only thing is I don't know about his footwork, defense, ball skills, passing, etc. All we have are the stats and it is said the kid is a dead eye from beyond the arc.

I also saw that Evan Gilyard signed his LOI as well. He is a quick 5'10" PG who shoots 50% from the 3 and is the leader for Simeon Career Academy in Chicago. He has a 96-7 record with them. Very impressive especially since he has played a the top level of high school basketball in Chicago. That makes Wade, Osborne, McGee, Smith, & Gilyard for 2017 so far. 

liebestraum

• Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 06:25:43 PM »
Two scholarships and 7 recruits?

Pardon me if contain my enthusiasm.

lieb

ronstr300

• Mine Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 10:22:25 PM »

lieb

It's the new math....

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
  • Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 04:58:12 AM »
You can't tell the players without a program...

liebestraum

• Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 05:48:08 AM »
You can't tell the players without a program...

I would also suggest making the roster on a separate sheet that can be inserted.  You know, in case changes need to be made?

lieb

SisyphusMiner

• Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 08:24:32 AM »
We need a AAA team so we can move players up and down as gametime decsions!

Chanson

• Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 03:23:15 PM »
We are not in the Big 5 conferences and teams needs to get creative if you are not a part of that dictatorship. Kids are backing out of contracts, transferring, & asking coaches to be let go because they are too far away from home, grandma, or their girlfriend. The 80's are over and if CTF has to LOI 15 kids every year just to pick up a couple, then so be it. I'm tired of the NCAA, I'm tired of coaches using UTEP as a stepping stool to get to other schools, and last but not least, I'm tired of losing.

I will not except winning with a dirty program a la Baylor, Texas, USC, Penn St, Louisville, etc. 

kuhlero

• 2015 Football Official Prediction Thread Champion
  • Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 04:03:37 PM »
Tirus is 6'9" and will probably be 6'10" or 6'11" before it's said and done...great under the radar pick by CTF.  Those 2 PG's are going to awesome in a couple of years along with Magee, wow 3 waterbugs running and gunning lol, can't wait!!!!

Chanson

• Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 04:46:07 PM »
PG- Barrett, McGee, Gilyard
SG- Omega, Touchet, Barnes, Cameron, Moore
SF- Winn, Flaggert, Wade, Osborne
PF- Thomas, Smith
C- Willms, Jones

That is 16 scholarship players. How many can we have total? 13? 3 have got to take a dive. I'm thinking Willms will give his up and either play as a walk on or give up basketball, because of injury.

2 to go.

Moore, Barnes, or Cameron will probably not be here. All 3 play the same position, which is a combo SG/SF and 1 has to go.

1 to go.

Either Osborne or Wade may have to eat a shit sandwich. Floyd has been really high on Wade so I am guessing Osborne gets it.

So..
PG- Barrett, McGee, & Gilyard
SG- Omega, Touchet, Barnes, (Cameron or Moore is gone)
SF- Winn, Flaggert, Wade
PF- Thomas, Smith
C- Jones

If CTF brings on another kid, then I'm thinking Flaggert will give up the scholly and do it a la Caldwell. I also wanted to add that Barnes was at 4 high schools and if he continues on that path, we may not see him next year.

SisyphusMiner

• Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2016, 07:37:25 PM »
I know the school district that Flaggert went to very well.  There are literally no poor kids there.  His family can pay UTEP tuition.

Chanson

• Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 09:51:30 AM »
Can someone...anyone find video on Tirus Smith? I went through 6 pages of Google and You Tube and can't find anything. I found McGee, Gilyard, Wade, & Osborne. Actually after looking I found that Osborne has a better shot and has tons of dunks over 7 footers in game time. He was something and looked better than Wade did.

Anyway, Tirus Smith is the only one I can't find. Beers on me for anyone who can deliver.

Go Miners

kuhlero

• Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 02:40:07 PM »

kuhlero

• Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 02:47:53 PM »
And has range...

USAFminersfan

• Mine Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2016, 03:03:12 PM »

lieb

It's hard to get "enthused" about these recruiting classes anymore. Seems like every year we have these great looking classes, only to find out half (usually the top recruits) will never wear the uniform. I can't even remember our players/recruits names anymore with how frequent they come and go

Chanson

• Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2016, 04:39:13 PM »
I like IPA's...

https://app.krossover.com/intelligence/reel/11857

Kid is huge!!!!

+1.

This is exactly what I wanted to see. Thanks

Addition- So, after looking at all the clips closely, I think Tirus Smith is a much needed project. I say much needed, because we need his size, strength, & bonus shooting ability. The project part is he is slow, doesn't play above the rim, his footwork is in need of a make over, and he is not in shape. It looks like a full year of work in the Division 1 level before he would be effective. He did have some monster dunks, but no hands or bodies were on him.

Also, Roderick Williams signed with UTEP. He is a 3★ 6'7" 210lb SF JUCO from Los Angeles.
Please read the details. He has a pretty good write up.
http://www.minerrush.com/2016/11/15/13642798/utep-basketball-roderick-williams-signs-with-utep
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 11:33:46 PM by Chanson »

SisyphusMiner

• Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2016, 07:58:19 PM »
Tough to have a slow project.  You can't teach speed.

Chanson

• Explosives Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2016, 07:50:01 AM »
So, after looking deeper into our newly recruited, I think the only one that will make an immediate impact is Williams. He's a JUCO and a scorer and those types usually hit the ground running. The only Freshmen that make immediate impacts all go to the big schools and us little guys don't see them very often. There are exceptions like Vince Hunter, Arnette Moultry, Winn, etc.
The thing is it is hard to tell which Fresh or Soph will be effective, because we don't know who will make it and who is staying. I'm betting Jones and Barrett stay, but who knows about Barnes, Cameron, and Moore. We all know a few won't even make it to campus from the Freshmen class. Anyway, we thought Barbee's 1st class would just be fillers and they ended up being God sends after a year of work.
The key is to have a good year this year and return all but one Sr. That would be ideal for the newbies. If we don't have a good year, then we start from scratch yet again.